McClatchy DC Logo

Relations worsen as Karzai rejects U.S. apology over deaths of 9 Afghan boys | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Relations worsen as Karzai rejects U.S. apology over deaths of 9 Afghan boys

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 06, 2011 03:33 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan president Hamid Karzai Sunday rebuffed an apology by the American general running the military campaign in his country for the recent deaths of nine boys in a helicopter attack, sending already tense relations with Washington to a new low.

Karzai's increasingly bitter public and private criticism of U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan threatens a complete breakdown in the crucial relationship between the Afghan government and Washington. Karzai said that the Afghans would lose trust in international forces as a result of civilian casualties, the continuation of which was "unacceptable".

The Afghan leader's comments came despite speaking directly to President Barack Obama on an hour-long video teleconference Wednesday, the day the boys were killed in northeast Afghanistan. The U.S. president "expressed his deep regret," according to a White House statement issued at the time.

The U.S. plan for Afghanistan depends on gradually handing over responsibility for security and governance to the Afghan government and that requires a level of close cooperation that is imperiled by civilian casualties as well as a string of other points of friction between Kabul and Washington.

SIGN UP

General David Petraeus met Karzai Sunday, when he offered a face-to-face apology for the incident in Kunar province, in which nine boys, said to be aged between 7 and 13, who were out collecting firewood when they came under fire from coalition helicopters that thought the children were insurgents.

"The apology is not enough," said Karzai in a statement issued by his office. "Civilian casualties produced by the military operations of coalition forces are the cause of tension in relations between Afghanistan and the United States of America. The people of Afghanistan are fed up from these brutal incidents and apologies and condemnation cannot cure their pain."

Separately, there was a demonstration Sunday in Kabul, in which several hundred people from a left-wing political party protested against civilian casualties and demanded the withdrawal of foreign soldiers, with chants of "Death to America, death to the American government." They also burned an effigy of Obama.

The issue was further inflamed when Petraeus suggested in a recent meeting with Karzai that some "civilian casualties" were caused deliberately by Afghan parents in order to tarnish the coalition, referring to a separate incident in Kunar last month in which locals and Afghan officials claim some 65 innocent people were killed. Coalition forces insist that only insurgents died.

In response to the deaths of the boys, Petraeus instructed all field commanders and attack helicopter crews to study again the rules that he's issued to govern when it is reasonable to open fire. In this case, a coalition investigation found that the helicopter crew had been sent to the wrong place.

According to a United Nations study, three quarters of civilian casualties in Afghanistan are being caused by the Taliban. Some are produced deliberately by attacks on non-military targets such as banks, shopping malls and sports events. Sunday, a roadside bomb in the eastern province of Paktika, assumed to be planted by the insurgents, killed up to 12 civilians, including five children.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent. Special Correspondent Hashim Shukoor in Kabul contributed to this article. )

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S.-led coalition admits it killed 9 Afghan boys in error

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S.-led coalition admits it killed 9 Afghan boys in error

March 02, 2011 04:32 PM

world

New militia brings security, and worries, to Marjah, Afghanistan

March 01, 2011 05:04 PM

world

Taliban bomber kills dozens at Afghan government office

February 21, 2011 04:02 PM

world

Karzai succeeds in getting weak parliament speaker elected

February 27, 2011 03:36 PM

HOMEPAGE

Read our in-depth coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan

May 11, 2009 07:46 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Businesses linked to McCaskill’s husband get $131 million in federal dollars

July 24, 2018 05:00 AM

Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

Joel Pett’s 2018 editorial cartoons

December 30, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story