McClatchy DC Logo

U.S.-led coalition admits it killed 9 Afghan boys in error | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S.-led coalition admits it killed 9 Afghan boys in error

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 02, 2011 04:32 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Troops in attack helicopters that belong to the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan mistakenly killed nine boys Tuesday with machine-gun and rocket fire as they collected firewood, thinking that the children were Taliban insurgents, the international forces acknowledged Wednesday.

U.S. Army Gen. David Petraeus, who heads the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, ordered all field commanders and helicopter crew members to study their orders again on when coalition aircraft can open fire on people on the ground.

The coalition said it was "deeply sorry" for the error.

The incident was sure to inflame already-raw Afghan sensitivities on civilian deaths from coalition military actions. Mohammed Bismel, a brother of two of the dead boys, told McClatchy that he thought Afghan President Hamid Karzai should resign and declare "holy war against foreign forces."

SIGN UP

"I am happy to join it," he said.

The boys, aged 7 to 13, were collecting firewood in the Pech valley in Kunar province at 11:30 a.m. when they were targeted, said Fazlullah Wahidi, the provincial governor. Petraeus said the tragedy seemed to have resulted from a mistake in passing the location of suspected terrorists to the helicopter crew, which was responding to a rocket attack on a base in the province.

"These deaths should have never happened, and I will personally apologize to President Karzai when he returns from his trip to London this week," Petraeus said in a statement.

The coalition was investigating the killings, and it said that disciplinary action against the service members involved was possible.

"This kind of attack leaves bad effects," Wahidi said. "Whenever one civilian is killed, we lose all our achievements and the people get angry."

In a telephone interview, Bismel, who's 20, said that his brothers, aged 8 and 11, and three cousins were foraging for firewood when they were attacked. He said the area had never experienced such casualties during the Soviet invasion of the 1980s, but that 200 "innocent people" had died since the coalition invaded Afghanistan in late 2001.

Bismel said that after the incident Tuesday, coalition soldiers came to the main town in the district and said, "We have killed al Qaida." News reports said that hundreds of locals had staged a protest against the killings, with chants of "Death to America."

Last week, in a different part of Kunar province, residents and the Afghan government claimed that a coalition operation had left 65 civilians dead. The coalition says that only insurgents were killed in that incident.

Karzai, who's been openly critical of coalition actions, said in a statement that "unjustifiable operations and bombings" were daily occurrences and the coalition should focus instead on the "havens of terrorists," pointing at insurgent sanctuaries across the border in Pakistan.

"Is this the way to fight terrorism and maintain stability in Afghanistan?" he said.

Since Petraeus took command last summer, the coalition has been more aggressive in going after the Taliban. Critics say the approach puts civilians at risk.

A recent United Nations report found that insurgents caused three-quarters of civilian casualties. The Taliban have launched a vicious campaign against civilian targets in recent weeks, including bombing sports events and shopping centers.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Big gains reported in Afghan town that Taliban once owned

Tailor shops displace opium bazaar in Afghan town

Taliban marginalized in former stronghold, U.S. general says

Follow McClatchy on Twitter

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

New militia brings security, and worries, to Marjah, Afghanistan

March 01, 2011 05:04 PM

world

Taliban bomber kills dozens at Afghan government office

February 21, 2011 04:02 PM

world

U.S.-led attack killed 50 civilians, Afghans say

February 20, 2011 03:12 PM

world

Taliban claims attack on Afghan bank that kills 9, injures 70

February 19, 2011 03:06 PM

world

Taliban marginalized in former stronghold, U.S. general says

February 18, 2011 05:31 PM

world

U.S. gave firm low rating for Afghan work — and more business

February 14, 2011 09:30 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

These tattoos aren't artful—they help identify Iraq's dead

October 31, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story