McClatchy DC Logo

Taliban bomber kills dozens at Afghan government office | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Taliban bomber kills dozens at Afghan government office

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 21, 2011 04:02 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide attacker blew himself up at a government office Monday in northern Afghanistan, killing at least 32 and wounding 31 people, mostly those in line to get identity cards, local officials said.

While U.S.-led coalition forces are making gains against the Taliban in the south, insurgents are spreading violence to other parts of the country. The intended target of Monday's attack may have been a meeting of police in an adjacent building, which would be part of a pattern of striking at law enforcement in recent weeks.

The bombing happened around 12:30 p.m. local time at the entrance of the census office of Imam Sahib district, north of Kunduz city, the capital of Kunduz province.

"The security has got better in the province and people want to get on with their lives, so they had come to get identity cards," said Anwar Jegdalik, the governor of Kunduz province.

SIGN UP

The Taliban claimed responsibility, saying in a statement: "All those killed were the ones wanting to be enlisted and become a formal member of militia puppets." The insurgents never acknowledge killing civilians.

The district chief, Mohammad Ayoub Haqyar, said one police officer was among the dead.

At the time of the explosion, police were meeting in an adjacent building to discuss how to raise a force of Afghan Local Police, a new U.S.-backed plan for additional security forces in each district.

The blast was so powerful that it shattered the windows of the meeting room and surrounding offices, Haqyar said.

"The target of the attacker was our meeting, but he was not able to get into it so he detonated himself in the next building," Haqyar said. "The Taliban cannot confront us face to face, so they plant mines or carry out suicide attacks."

Earlier this month, the Taliban carried out a series of sophisticated attacks on police targets in the southern province of Kandahar and the eastern province of Nangarhar.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai said: "The recent attacks where innocent lives were lost clearly demonstrate the very evil and anti-Islamic nature of this cruel enemy, who desperately seek to slaughter and bereave families."

U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Vic Beck, the public affairs director for the International Security Assistance Force, said in a statement: "In direct contradiction to (Taliban leader) Mullah Omar's highly touted proclamation prohibiting insurgents from harming Afghan civilians, today they once again demonstrated their true disregard for the safety of the Afghan people."

Kunduz province is on the border with Tajikistan in northern Afghanistan, which provides a vital supply route for the U.S.-led coalition forces. About 3,000 coalition soldiers, mostly Germans, are stationed in Kunduz. It was a peaceful province until 2007, when coalition forces began using the highway through the province as one of their main supply routes.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S.-led attack killed 50 civilians, Afghans say

U.S. gave firm low rating for Afghan work - and more business

$69.3 million Afghan-contracting fine may be a record

U.S. contractor accused of fraud still winning big Afghan projects

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S.-led attack killed 50 civilians, Afghans say

February 20, 2011 03:12 PM

world

Taliban claims attack on Afghan bank that kills 9, injures 70

February 19, 2011 03:06 PM

world

Taliban marginalized in former stronghold, U.S. general says

February 18, 2011 05:31 PM

world

Tailor shops displace opium bazaar in Afghan town

February 17, 2011 06:09 PM

world

Big gains reported in Afghan town that Taliban once owned

February 17, 2011 04:58 PM

world

U.S. gave firm low rating for Afghan work — and more business

February 14, 2011 09:30 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story