Monica Meeker of Nashville, Tenn., holds her daughter, Camilla, in the dining room next to the same style of blinds Camilla got tangled in last year and nearly died. When the Meekers removed the blinds and installed curtains, their homeowners association notified them that the curtains were a violation of HOA rules, which required blinds in windows facing the street. The Meekers spent $7,000 in attorney fees fighting the association, but it refused to change its policy. The family eventually moved to a home that is not in an HOA. The November death of 3-year-old Elsie Mahe, who died after strangling on a window cord in her family’s Utah home, brought back troubling memories for Meeker, who wants to warn other families about the dangers of cords on blinds.
Monica Meeker of Nashville, Tenn., holds her daughter, Camilla, in the dining room next to the same style of blinds Camilla got tangled in last year and nearly died. When the Meekers removed the blinds and installed curtains, their homeowners association notified them that the curtains were a violation of HOA rules, which required blinds in windows facing the street. The Meekers spent $7,000 in attorney fees fighting the association, but it refused to change its policy. The family eventually moved to a home that is not in an HOA. The November death of 3-year-old Elsie Mahe, who died after strangling on a window cord in her family’s Utah home, brought back troubling memories for Meeker, who wants to warn other families about the dangers of cords on blinds. Joe Ledford jledford@kcstar.com
Monica Meeker of Nashville, Tenn., holds her daughter, Camilla, in the dining room next to the same style of blinds Camilla got tangled in last year and nearly died. When the Meekers removed the blinds and installed curtains, their homeowners association notified them that the curtains were a violation of HOA rules, which required blinds in windows facing the street. The Meekers spent $7,000 in attorney fees fighting the association, but it refused to change its policy. The family eventually moved to a home that is not in an HOA. The November death of 3-year-old Elsie Mahe, who died after strangling on a window cord in her family’s Utah home, brought back troubling memories for Meeker, who wants to warn other families about the dangers of cords on blinds. Joe Ledford jledford@kcstar.com

National

HOAs from hell: more horror stories, more fraud — and prospect of legislative action

December 23, 2016 9:11 AM

  Comments  

Videos