McClatchy DC Logo

Commentary: 'Miami Zombie' is just another story that could only happen in Miami | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Opinion

Commentary: 'Miami Zombie' is just another story that could only happen in Miami

Fabiola Santiago - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 31, 2012 03:09 AM

You’d think a face-eating naked man shot dead along the postcard blue landscape of the MacArthur Causeway would be bad for tourism, but not in our steamy Magic City.

We’ve developed crocodile skin when it comes to police news, no matter how dehumanizing, and now we embrace our wackiness.

History and our fine-tuned reputation as a storyteller’s paradise have taught us that how 31-year-old Rudy Eugene met his maker — shot by police after he bit off most of a man’s face right next to the Miami Herald building, the scene creating a hellish traffic jam — is the kind of news that draws tourists and filmmakers like mosquitoes to standing water.

Once upon a time, this would have been the kind of news that sent the Chamber of Commerce into emergency meetings to figure out how to counteract the bad image of Miami promulgated by the negative media. But in the age of the Internet and social media, everyone craves a piece of the action. Stories like Eugene’s sends gallows humor into high gear.

SIGN UP

The wackier the news, the wider the reach, the more people develop the sense that we’re just a happening kind of town. Makes them want to be part of the scene.

What do you know?

Naked and flesh-eating in the same sentence guarantees worldwide coverage and creates a buzz. In The Herald, for instance, the online stories of the naked man’s face-eating attack got more than 2 million views over the last three days.

Surveillance cameras even gave us gruesome and ghoulish visuals.

Not even a presidential election can compete with that; perhaps only if Mitt Romney had also bitten the face of the boy he allegedly harassed as a teenager.

Ours was a long road to high-end zombie status.

Decades ago there was the rude man who died hungry, shot by a security guard after he slugged the cashier who told him they had run out of chicken, and the naked man who threw the severed head of his girlfriend at a young cop — classic only-in-Miami crime stories wonderfully reported and told by The Herald’s legendary police reporter Edna Buchanan. Hers were the kind of stories that made the Chamber of Commerce tremble in horror, but brought to town the film crews of Miami Vice and CSI: Miami.

City promoters learned the lesson: Crime sells.

Again this weekend, those previously loathed reporters, past and present, made the latest psycho a top story on social media.

“The world progresses and regresses, and then there’s Miami, where the wondrous and wacky is a delightful constant,” posted on Facebook Herald alum Marc Fisher of the Washington Post.

In a move replicated many times over on Facebook, three of his friends shared the story in their own Facebook pages, and so on.

Another former Herald reporter, Lisa Arthur, recalled how back when she was in journalism school she came across a Herald recruiting poster that enticed potential interns with a paragraph from the Buchanan story about the naked man found by police leaning against a Metrorail support carrying the severed head.

“It convinced me I HAD to work at The Herald,” posted Arthur, who now reports from New Jersey. “Turned out to be the truth, too.While living there I saw no less than 5 naked men roaming the streets. The naked abound in the Magic City.”

You can’t buy that kind of publicity.

By Monday, postings had become stranger than the actual story.

New York celebrity chef and cookbook author Daisy Martinez posted via I’m a Proud Mamá Latina — “Miami zombie alert! Lol” — and provided the link to the story on mamaslatinas.com headlined: “Miami’s zombie attacker may have been high on bath salts: ¿Qué más?”

And so, another urban legend has been born.

Some of us hypothesize that this is all karma — the legacy we leave to new property owners of the Miami Herald site, the resort and mega-casino operators from Malaysia.

Along with prime waterfront real estate, they purchased a flock of dive-bombing mocking birds and a prime view of the flesh-eating and the naked to help them jack up hotel prices on holiday weekends.

Maybe they’ll even get to host the opening night party for the movie. Miami: See It Like A Zombie.

  Comments  

Videos

“It’s not mine,” Pompeo says of New York Times op-ed

Trump and Putin shake hands at G20 Summit

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

A preview of 2019 and a few New Year’s resolutions for Trump and Pelosi

Opinion

A preview of 2019 and a few New Year’s resolutions for Trump and Pelosi

By Andrew Malcolm Special to McClatchy

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 02, 2019 06:00 AM

The president might resolve to keep his mouth shut some and silencing his cellphone more this year. Pelosi too could work on her public speaking and maybe use notes a bit more to remind of the subject at hand.

KEEP READING

MORE OPINION

The West has long militarized space. China plans to weaponize it. Not good.

Opinion

The West has long militarized space. China plans to weaponize it. Not good.

December 27, 2018 04:52 PM
Trump’s artless deal: The president’s Syria decision will have long-term consequences

Opinion

Trump’s artless deal: The president’s Syria decision will have long-term consequences

December 26, 2018 06:00 AM
This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

Opinion

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

Opinion

The solution to the juvenile delinquency problem in our nation’s politics

December 18, 2018 06:00 AM
High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

Opinion

High-flying U.S. car execs often crash when when they run into foreign laws

December 13, 2018 06:09 PM
Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

Opinion

Putin wants to divide the West. Can Trump thwart his plan?

December 11, 2018 06:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story