McClatchy DC Logo

Intelligence memo before 9-11 noted suspicions of possible hijackings | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Iraq Intelligence

Intelligence memo before 9-11 noted suspicions of possible hijackings

Ron Hutcheson - Knight Ridder Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 10, 2004 04:59 PM

WASHINGTON — A month before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, President Bush received a top-secret briefing memo that included information about suspected terrorist preparations for hijackings, surveillance at federal buildings in New York and an anonymous tip that supporters of Osama bin Laden were in the United States "planning attacks with explosives."

The memo, delivered to Bush at his Texas ranch on Aug. 6, 2001, did not include specific information pointing to the attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center and damaged the Pentagon about five weeks later.

Even so, the public release of the once-classified document seems certain to fuel criticism that Bush did not act aggressively enough in the summer of 2001 to prevent terrorist attacks, as his former White House counter-terrorism chief Richard Clarke maintained in his new book and in public testimony before investigators last month.

The one and one-third page memo reported that U.S. intelligence officials had not been able to corroborate that bin Laden "wanted to hijack a US aircraft" in 1998. "Nevertheless," it continued, "FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York.

SIGN UP

"The FBI is conducting approximately 70 full field investigations throughout the US that it considers Bin Laden-related," the memo said. "CIA and the FBI are investigating a call to our Embassy in the UAE (United Arab Emirates) in May saying that a group of Bin Laden supporters was in the US planning attacks with explosives."

After releasing the briefing document Saturday - its title is "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US" - senior administration officials attempted to undercut its importance by telling reporters, on condition of anonymity, that the FBI later determined that the suspected surveillance in New York turned out to be "tourist-related activity" by two visitors from Yemen.

The officials also said that the anonymous tip, which came in a May 15, 2001, phone call to the U.S. embassy in the United Arab Emirates, did not appear to have any connection to the Sept. 11 attacks.

But President Bush did not know at the time of the briefing how either suspicious incident would evolve. Yet he did not order a top-level national security meeting in response to it. His first Cabinet-level meeting on the al-Qaida threat was on Sept. 4, after the Bush administration had already held 33 other top-level meetings on other national security issues.

White House officials declassified the briefing paper under pressure from the independent commission that is investigating the Sept. 11 attacks. The memo was released in full except for three phrases in the text blacked out. The senior officials said that was necessary to protect the identity of foreign intelligence services that cooperated with U.S. intelligence.

Bush's critics on the panel contend that the government's information on al-Qaida should have prompted more action.

The senior administration officials took issue with suggestions that Bush should have convened a top-level meeting on terrorism to energize the federal bureaucracy.

Two days after the UAE embassy phone tip, the officials said, counter-terrorism adviser Clarke discussed it with a staff-level terrorism task force made up of representatives from the State Department, Justice Department, Defense Department, FBI and CIA.

And the FAA and FBI issued a number of warnings about possible terrorist attacks from June through September, the officials said.

At a contentious hearing Thursday before the investigative panel, commissioner Jamie Gorelick, a former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration, observed sharply that those alerts had failed to catch the attention of either the secretary of transportation, the head of the FAA, or key FBI field offices, according to earlier testimony.

Condoleezza Rice, Bush's national security adviser, testified Thursday about the August 6 memo that "there was nothing in this memo that suggested an attack was coming on New York or Washington, D.C. There was nothing in this memo as to time, place, how or where. ... There was no silver bullet that could have prevented the 9-11 attacks," Rice said.

The CIA arranged the Aug. 6 briefing in response to questions from Bush prompted by a dramatic increase in intelligence about a possible terrorist attack. The intelligence reports had spiked in June and July, then tapered off in August.

At the time of the Aug. 6 briefing, Bush had just started a month-long visit to his Texas ranch. The briefing was a compilation of information about the al-Qaida threat from U.S. and foreign intelligence agencies, the FBI and news accounts.

  Comments  

Videos

Lone Sen. Pat Roberts holds down the fort during government shutdown

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

This is not what Vladimir Putin wanted for Christmas

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

Read Next

CIA official: No proof harsh techniques stopped terror attacks

Iraq Intelligence

CIA official: No proof harsh techniques stopped terror attacks

Mark Seibel and Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 24, 2009 08:22 PM

WASHINGTON — The CIA inspector general in 2004 found that there was no conclusive proof that waterboarding or other harsh interrogation techniques helped the Bush administration thwart any "specific imminent attacks," according to recently declassified Justice Department memos.

That undercuts assertions by former vice president Dick Cheney and other former Bush administration officials that the use of harsh interrogation tactics including waterboarding, which is widely considered torture, was justified because it headed off terrorist attacks.

KEEP READING

MORE IRAQ INTELLIGENCE

New U.S. intelligence report warns 'victory' not certain in Iraq

Iraq Intelligence

New U.S. intelligence report warns 'victory' not certain in Iraq

October 07, 2008 05:15 PM
Senate committee: Bush knew Iraq claims weren't true

Iraq Intelligence

Senate committee: Bush knew Iraq claims weren't true

June 05, 2008 09:20 AM
Did Iranian agents dupe Pentagon officials?

Politics & Government

Did Iranian agents dupe Pentagon officials?

June 05, 2008 05:35 PM
Pentagon cancels release of controversial Iraq report

Iraq Intelligence

Pentagon cancels release of controversial Iraq report

March 12, 2008 06:21 PM
Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam and al Qaida

Iraq Intelligence

Exhaustive review finds no link between Saddam and al Qaida

March 10, 2008 07:08 PM

Iraq Intelligence

McClatchy (Knight Ridder) Iraq Intelligence Archive 2001 - 2007

October 10, 2007 06:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story