White House

Biden says no plans to send American troops into Haiti at moment, in wake of assassination

President Joe Biden said Thursday that he does not currently have plans to send U.S. troops into Haiti to provide security for the Caribbean country in the aftermath of the assassination of its president.

“We’re only sending American Marines to our embassy to make sure that they are secure and nothing is out of whack at all,” Biden said at a news conference. “But the idea of sending American forces into Haiti is not on the agenda at this moment.”

The country is reeling from political turmoil in the aftermath of the killing of President Jovenel Moïse last week.

The Haitian government under acting Prime Minister Claude Joseph had sent a letter to the Biden administration requesting the “urgent” deployment of troops to secure the country’s sea, air and oil ports.

The White House said that the FBI had provided investigative assistance to Haitian authorities, at their request, and is providing ongoing security assistance.

Haiti police said late Wednesday that they had arrested two additional individuals, including former rebel leader Gilbert Dragon. Dragon played a part in the 2004 coup that led to the ousting of Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

This story was originally published July 15, 2021 at 6:12 PM.

Francesca Chambers
McClatchy DC
Francesca is Senior White House Correspondent for McClatchy. She is an Emmy award-winning reporter, known for her coverage of campaigns, elections and the White House.She has covered three presidencies, dating back to former President Barack Obama, and the White House bids of numerous Democrats and Republicans, including Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and former President Donald Trump.Francesca is a member of the White House Correspondents’ Association board and a graduate of the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Kansas.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER