McClatchy DC Logo

Lawyer: I released judge’s words to protect my clients in family detention | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

White House

Lawyer: I released judge’s words to protect my clients in family detention

By Franco Ordoñez - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 11, 2015 02:00 PM

Bryan Johnson signed a confidentiality agreement.

But the New York immigration lawyer, retained as a legal consultant for negotiators locked in high-level talks with Department of Justice officials over the fate of the Obama administration’s family detention program, now risks being found in contempt for violating a federal judge’s order after he released her tentative ruling against the government.

U.S. District Court Judge Dolly Gee’s April 24 tentative ruling, which has been kept secret for months, is a scathing rebuke of the Obama administration’s decision to significantly increase its use of family detention in response to a surge of mothers and children fleeing poverty and violence in Central America.

Johnson said the reason he’s releasing the draft ruling is because he feels ethically obligated to defend his clients’ rights under the law. McClatchy published the ruling Thursday. The ruling was not binding, he said, but it was very clear in what the judge believes is the interpretation of the law.

SIGN UP

“And ‘You’re violating it here, here and here,’” Johnson said Thursday morning. “Even after that, (the Department of Homeland Security) has detained women for eight months, over a year. I can’t even imagine what it’s like for these women and children who have been there for such long periods of time.”

As an outside consultant to immigration attorneys negotiating with government officials, Johnson provided on-the-ground advice about the mothers detained inside the federal centers. He was terminated from the role shortly after McClatchy published the tentative ruling.

Still, having the ruling in the public light, he said, would allow him and other attorneys to better represent clients and negotiate the release on bail of migrant mothers and children.

The government, he said, therefore benefits by keeping the tentative ruling in the dark.

While family detention has remained largely under the radar over the past year, it’s been gaining attention in recent weeks. At a campaign stop last month, presidential candidate Hillary Clinton made it an issue for the 2016 debates. She said she was “very worried” about the detention of children and called for more “humane treatment.” And more than 135 Democratic members of Congress called for the end of family detention, charging that the Department of Homeland Security “has not fully grasped the serious harm being inflicted upon mothers and children.”

Ranjana Natarajan, director of the Civil Rights Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law and a lead lawyer arguing on behalf of the women, warned against publishing the confidential ruling.

In an emailed response Thursday to questions from McClatchy, Natarajan said publishing the draft ruling would “violate the words and spirit of the court’s order and may also jeopardize ongoing settlement negotiations.” She would not answer questions about the case.

The judge’s tentative ruling should never have been kept confidential, said Johnson, who said he’s acting alone.

Johnson said he was pushed over the edge following the abrupt deportation of Lilian Oliva Bardales, 19, days after she attempted suicide. For several days after the attempt, she was kept from her 4-year-old son in a medical unit and blocked from meeting with an attorney until she was deported.

Johnson filed to represent Oliva because she had U.S. contacts in New York. He advised U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement that he was pursuing a special immigrant juvenile status because Oliva and her son were under 21. But they were deported before he could submit the paperwork.

“I wanted to help her,” Johnson said. “I had the ability. But I wasn’t able to.”

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said they couldn’t discuss the ongoing negotiations.

In Oliva’s case, officials said she was given phone access to her attorney.

Johnson said that what the administration is doing to women and children is a “federal crime,” and the only way to prevent this in the future is to face concrete penalties, including jail time or the threat of jail.

“This needs to stop,” he said. “And I feel this (releasing the agreement) is the only way that there is a chance that the government will be held accountable.”

  Comments  

Videos

Trump, Pelosi, Schumer spar in Oval Office

These are the generals who’ve left the White House

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story