McClatchy DC Logo

Bush selects war czar | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

White House

Bush selects war czar

William Douglas and Nancy A.Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 15, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—President Bush has selected an Army lieutenant general to be his war czar in charge of overseeing the battles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

White House officials said Tuesday that Bush has tapped Army Lt. Gen. Douglas E. Lute for the new position. The job was created to consolidate authority for coordinating the war efforts and easing conflicts among the Pentagon, State Department and other agencies.

Lute, a three-star general, will have the titles of assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser for Iraq and Afghanistan. It was unclear Tuesday whether he'd report directly to Bush or to National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley.

"General Lute is a tremendously accomplished military leader who understands war and government and knows how to get things done," Bush said in a statement issued by the White House.

SIGN UP

Lute's selection will take some pressure off Hadley, who had the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts on his plate along with other pressing foreign issues, such as the nuclear standoffs with North Korea and Iran.

If he keeps his current rank, Lute will be in the difficult, perhaps impossible, position of overseeing people who outrank him, including Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Peter Pace, a Marine four-star general, and Army Gen. David Petraeus, the top commander in Iraq. Lute's relationship to Vice President Dick Cheney, who's played a major role in shaping U.S. policy in Iraq, also is unclear.

Lute, 54, of Michigan City, Ind., has been director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff since September. Before that, he was stationed at the U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla., overseeing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan

He's earned degrees from West Point and Harvard University and is widely respected in the Pentagon for his intellect and his understanding of the intricacies of the Middle East. He's unapologetically frank about the situation in Iraq, often willing to point out that operations could fail or that Iraqis may fail to meet U.S. expectations.

In an interview with McClatchy Newspapers last month, Lute said that U.S. officials must make sure that Iraqi forces step up during the surge of some 30,000 additional U.S. troops into Baghdad.

"We are looking for indicators where we can assess the extent to which we are fighting alongside Iraqi security forces, not as a replacement to them," he said.

Lute's selection ends a long White House search for a war czar. Some senior military officers who were approached said they weren't interested.

Sen. John Warner of Virginia, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, called Lute's selection an "excellent choice."

At least one veterans' group expressed skepticism about the new position. Jon Soltz, the chairman and co-founder of VoteVets.org, a group of Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans who oppose the war in Iraq, accused Bush of abdicating his role as commander in chief by appointing Lute.

"Those of us who have a rudimentary understanding of the military and Constitution know that there is already a war czar," Soltz said in a written statement. "The position has a different name, though—Commander in Chief, or as the president says, `the commander guy.' Whatever the name of the position is, this proves the president is throwing in the towel when it comes to directing the military, and is giving up his constitutional role."

———

(McClatchy Newspapers correspondent Renee Schoof contributed.)

  Comments  

Videos

Trump, Pelosi, Schumer spar in Oval Office

These are the generals who’ve left the White House

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE WHITE HOUSE

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

National Security

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM
Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

Immigration

Leading Republicans question Trump plan to deport Vietnamese refugees, some in US over 20 years

December 21, 2018 01:43 PM
Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

Congress

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM
Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM
Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

White House

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story