Welcome to McClatchy’s Voter Survival Guide, an interactive presentation of daily events from one of the strangest presidential campaigns in modern history.
Another day, another high-profile police shooting. The death of Keith L. Scott in Charlotte spawned protests that turned violent, and 16 police officers were injured.
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton weighed in on the shooting on Twitter, of course.
Trump also said Wednesday that he will propose the expansion of stop-and-frisk, a controversial police tactic that was greatly reduced in New York City. Stop-and-frisk allows officers to stop and search people if there is reasonable suspicion that they may have committed a crime.
Clinton is now off the campaign trail until Monday’s debate in New York.
It looks like Ted Cruz and Trump may have mended fences over the internet.
The polls open nationally in 46 days. Let’s get started.
Trump and Clinton react to shooting and protests
Both candidates took to social media after violence in Charlotte in response to a black man being fatally shot by police.
Keith Lamont Scott. Terence Crutcher. Too many others. This has got to end. -H
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) September 21, 2016
The situations in Tulsa and Charlotte are tragic. We must come together to make America safe again.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 21, 2016
Hopefully the violence & unrest in Charlotte will come to an immediate end. To those injured, get well soon. We need unity & leadership.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 21, 2016
Activists in Charlotte called for the boycott of white-owned businesses, while local officials urged calm.
Stop-and-frisk should go national, Trump says
Trump is a longtime supporter of the New York Police Department policy that was diminished by mayor Bill de Blasio, and he would advocate for its expansion nationwide if elected president.
“I would do stop-and-frisk. I think you have to,” Trump said “We did it in New York, it worked incredibly well and you have to be proactive and, you know, you really help people sort of change their mind automatically.”
I would do stop-and-frisk. I think you have to
Donald Trump
Cruz and Trump join forces on the internet
U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz raised eyebrows after refusing to endorse Trump during his Republican National Convention speech, but it looks like they’re on the same team now.
Appreciate @realDonaldTrump’s support of our efforts to keep the internet free: https://t.co/gc4aRustpx
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) September 21, 2016
They both oppose handing over the internet’s domain name system to an international body—an idea championed by Barack Obama.
“The Republicans in Congress are admirably leading a fight to save the Internet this week, and need all the help the American people can give them to be successful,” a statement from the Trump campaign said. “Hillary Clinton’s Democrats are refusing to protect the American people by not protecting the Internet.”
Cruz argues that international domain name oversight will lead to more censorship by Russia and China.
“Under the guardianship of the United States and the First Amendment the internet has become truly an oasis of freedom, but that could soon change,” Cruz said at a hearing last week.
Links of note
Black-owned media wonder: Where are the campaign ads? (McClatchy)
Donald Trump, Florida Man (Tampa Bay Times)
An independent candidate for president uses racist voicemail in ad (Buzzfeed)
What happens if Donald Trump is kicked off the ballot? (McClatchy)
Have a question about the candidates, the campaign, the process, the election itself? Ask us here.
- Map: How America votes
- Quiz: Pick a side
- Register to vote
- Deadlines by state
- Find your state’s election office
- Sample ballots by ZIP code
Alex Daugherty: 202-383-6049, @alextdaugherty
Comments