Newt Gingrich is no longer a contributor for Fox News, the network announced Tuesday.
“Due to the intense media speculation about Gingrich’s potential selection as Donald Trump’s Vice Presidential candidate, we felt it best to halt this contributor role on the network to avoid all conflicts of interest that may arise,” said Fox Executive Vice President Jay Wallace.
Wallace said the decision was mutual.
The former speaker of the House is on the shortlist to run on the Republican ticket with Trump, who is expected to make his selection public any day ahead of the Republican National Convention next week. Shortly after the announcement that Gingrich had severed ties with Fox was made public, he appeared on the network and said Trump’s announcement would come tomorrow or Thursday.
Trump has said that if Gingrich is not the vice presidential choice, the former speaker will have some role in his possible future administration.
Gingrich joined Fox last fall after a stint with CNN. He had previously been suspended from Fox, when he considered a 2012 presidential run.