Donald Trump’s campaign said Wednesday his net worth is more than $10 billion, not the $8.7 billion he cited last month.
The Republican presidential candidate filed his financial disclosure statement with the government, and Trump said the earlier figure was a year old.
A press release noted that “This report was not designed for a man of Mr. Trump's massive wealth. For instance, they have boxes once a certain number is reached that simply state $50 million or more. Many of these boxes have been checked. As an example, if a building owned by Mr. Trump is worth $1.5 billion, the box checked is ‘$50,000,000 or more.’’’
Trump praised his disclosure.
“First people said I would never run, and I did. Then, they said, I would never file my statement of candidacy with the FEC, and I did. Next, they said I would never file my personal financial disclosure forms. I filed them early despite the fact that I am allowed two 45 days extensions,” the real estate mogul said. He said his income last year was $362 million.
“Now I have surged in the polls and am fighting to Make America Great Again. I look forward to the challenge of winning the presidency and doing a fantastic job for our country. I will make the United States rich and strong and respected again, but also a country with a 'big heart' toward the care of our people.”
17% Trump’s total in new Suffolk University poll, putting him in GOP lead
The Trump campaign said his net worth is up since last year’s statement as real estate values in cities where he owns property have gone up considerably.
The statement also noted “he was successful in choosing multiple stocks which were sold in January 2014. Even though stock market purchases are not something that Mr. Trump has focused on in the past, and while only a small part of his net worth, 40 of the 45 stocks purchased went up in a relatively short period of time, creating a gain of $27,021,471, not including those stocks still remaining in the portfolio which currently have an unrealized gain of over $22 million.”
Trump has maintained that recent controversies should not dramatically affect his wealth. His remarks calling some Mexicans rapists and criminals have led several businesses, notably Macy’s and NBC, to cut their association with him.
David Lightman: 202-383-6101, @lightmandavid
Comments