McClatchy DC Logo

Democrats call on GOP to release testimony, emails of Clinton friend | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

Democrats call on GOP to release testimony, emails of Clinton friend

By Anita Kumar - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 16, 2015 05:36 PM

House Democrats called on their Republican counterparts leading the investigation into the fatal attacks in Benghazi, Libya in 2012 to release the full transcript of Tuesday’s deposition of former Clinton White House aide Sidney Blumenthal.

“Committee Democrats have always supported transparency, so we request that the Chairman release the full transcript of today’s deposition with Mr. Blumenthal at the same time that he releases Mr. Blumenthal’s emails,” said Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, ranking member of the House Select Committee on Benghazi. “If Republicans truly believe in transparency, then they should have no objection to this course of action.”

Blumenthal testified Tuesday behind closed doors.

The committee issued a subpoena for Blumenthal and his emails after news reports indicated that presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton was sent information from Blumenthal about the situation in Libya during the civil war that led to the fall of Muammar Qaddafi in 2011. Blumenthal was a senior adviser to Bill Clinton between 1997 and 2001. Clinton sent some of that information to aides in the State Department, according to the New York Times.

SIGN UP

Republicans said they discovered 60 new Libya emails between Blumenthal and Clinton, suggesting that the State Department or the presidential candidate withheld documents the committee had requested.

“Sidney Blumenthal produced to the Committee nearly 60 new emails regarding Libya and Benghazi,” Chairman Trey Gowdy, R-S.C. said. “These emails were not previously produced to the Committee or released to the public, and they will help inform...(the) deposition.”

Democrats have been complaining for weeks that the committee is taking too long in its investigation and just wants to hurt Clinton's chances in the 2016 presidential election

The Committee was established more than a year ago to investigate the attacks in Benghazi, and it has spent approximately $3.5 million in taxpayer funds to date, they say. It has lasted longer than multiple previous investigations, including the investigations of Iran-Contra, the Kennedy assassination, the attack on Pearl Harbor, and Hurricane Katrina.

Cummings called on Gowdy to release Blumenthal’s emails.

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story