McClatchy DC Logo

Lawsuit seeks records on 2 Clinton donors, questions influence on her decisions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

Lawsuit seeks records on 2 Clinton donors, questions influence on her decisions

By Anita Kumar - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 09, 2015 09:50 AM

The conservative group Citizens United filed a lawsuit Thursday demanding that the State Department turn over correspondence it hopes will help determine whether Hillary Clinton’s decisions as the nation’s top diplomat were swayed by a pair of wealthy donors to her family’s foundation.

Citizens United said in the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia that its public records requests for documents from the State Department under the Freedom of Information Act have gone unanswered for seven to 10 months.

“The only way to get results is to force bureaucrats into court,” David Bossie, Citizens United’s president and chairman, said in an interview.

The group had requested various electronic and written communications about two longtime political supporters of Clinton and her husband, former President Bill Clinton – Lebanese-Nigerian billionaire businessman Gilbert Chagoury and Chicago securities trader Raj Fernando.

SIGN UP

Chagoury has donated between $1 million and $5 million to the Clinton Foundation. Fernando has contributed between $500,000 and $1 million.

Clinton’s office and the State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the suit.

Clinton, 67, is expected to announce her second run for the White House within weeks, according to those knowledgeable about her plans but not authorized to speak publicly.

Bossie said he wants to know whether Chagoury’s donations played any role in Clinton’s initial decision not to designate the Nigerian-based Boko Haram a terror group.

Some experts have said that the foreign policy and intelligence community was split about Boko Haram at the time. Only later was the group tied to al Qaida-affiliated groups and blamed for various attacks, rapes and kidnappings in Nigeria, including of over 200 schoolgirls in April 2014.

Clinton’s successor, John Kerry, designated Boko Haram as a foreign terrorist organization when he became secretary in 2013.

Last month, Sen. David Vitter, R-La., raised the same questions about Chagoury’s donations and Boko Haram.

“We need to know if Mr. Chagoury had any influence in the decision not to designate Boko Haram (a foreign terrorist organization) or had any other influence with Sec. Clinton’s foreign policy decisions,” Vitter wrote in a letter to Kerry. He asked the State Department for documents involving Clinton’s decision not to support that designation.

News reports indicate Chagoury advised Sani Abacha, who was Nigeria’s de facto president from 1993-98 and whose reign was marked by human rights abuses. After Abacha died in 1998, Chagoury paid $300,000 to the new Nigerian government in exchange for immunity.

Fernando, CEO of Chopper Trading, a Chicago-based trading firm he founded in 2002, has raised money for President Barack Obama and Clinton. He also gave $30,000 to a political advocacy group, WomenCount, that has indirectly helped Clinton.

Fernando was appointed in 2011 to advise Clinton on security issues along with nuclear scientists, former cabinet secretaries and lawmakers. His appointment to the panel raised questions because he had no international security background. After ABC News contacted the State Department to ask about his qualifications, Fernando announced that he had stepped down.

Bossie said he is seeking public records to determine whether donations had anything to do with Fernando’s appointment.

Thursday’s lawsuit marks the fifth the group has filed in recent months after its Freedom of Information requests went unanswered at the State Department. The other lawsuits involve flight manifests for some of Clinton’s trips as secretary of state; communications among senior department officials, the Clinton Foundation and employees of Teneo, a company founded by Bill Clinton’s longtime adviser, Doug Band; as well as photos and video of Clinton’s overseas trips.

A judge set deadlines for the State Department to begin releasing Clinton’s flight manifests, but so far the group has only received four documents, which identify the agency staff authorized to travel on trips on Oct. 4, 2009, and May 25, 2009. No flight manifests were delivered. The next batch of information is due April 17.

“We’re going to get something from these lawsuits,” Bossie said. “It’s not ‘if,’ it’s ‘when.’”

The Clinton Foundation – now called the Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation – has received millions of dollars in donations from foreign governments, businesses, individuals and non-governmental organizations around the globe, including some while Hillary Clinton was serving as secretary of state, according to an analysis of 10 years of contributions by McClatchy.

After Obama tapped Clinton to be the nation’s top diplomat, the foundation agreed not to accept donations from foreign governments that had not previously contributed to the organization without a review by the State Department, and it consented to disclose a list of its donors each year. Recent news reports indicate the agreement did not always work.

At a news conference to primarily address the issue of her use of a private email account for government business, Clinton defended the foreign donations. “I am very proud of the work the foundation does,” she said. “I’m very proud of the hundreds of thousands of people who support the work of the foundation and the results that have been achieved for people here at home and around the world.”

Former President Clinton founded the charity, then called the William J. Clinton Foundation, in 2001 to address issues around the world, including health care, climate change and economic development. After leaving the State Department in 2013, Hillary Clinton joined the foundation.

The foundation is not required to publicly release its donors. The foundation says the organization continued to release donor information after Clinton left the State Department to be transparent.

The foundation website indicated that 65,499 individuals or entities donated since 2004, though it does not include exact donation amounts; does not give dates beyond indicating who gave in 2014; and does not identify information about the donors such as addresses or employers.

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

January 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story