Donald Trump Wednesday took a serious step towards a presidential bid, forming an exploratory committee to determine whether he will seek the office.
“I have a great love for our country, but it is a country that is in serious trouble. We have lost the respect of the entire world. Americans deserve better than what they get from their politicians --- who are all talk and no action!” he said in a statement.
Trump, 68, who is expected to seek the Republican nomination, has also hired staff in key primary states, notably Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. He plans to visit New Hampshire, traditionally the nation’s first primary state,Thursday.
The New York-based businessman has been a regular presence at Republican events recently, but has had trouble winning broad support. He finished a distant 11th at the Conservative Action Political Conference’s February 28 straw poll.
He told McClatchy last month he’s undaunted by the poll showings.
“I’ve been getting the best reception. I’ve been getting the biggest crowds,” he said. “People like what I say. I don’t know if they like me or not. I’m actually a nice person, but I’m not sure people agree on that.”
He’s toyed with the notion of seeking the White House before, but never seriously pursued a bid. This time, he said, he’s taking more formal steps.
“I have built a great company, created thousands of jobs and built a tremendous net worth with some of the finest and most prestigious assets in the world --- and very little debt! All Americans deserve the same opportunity,” his statement said.
“Our real unemployment rate is staggering while our manufacturing base is eroding on a daily basis. We must rebuild our infrastructure, control our borders, support local control of education, greatly strengthen our military, care for our veterans and put Americans back to work! We must stop other countries from totally taking advantage of our representatives who are being out-negotiated at every turn. I am the only one who can make America truly great again!”
Comments