McClatchy DC Logo

N.C. Democratic Party director steps down over sexual harassment allegations | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

N.C. Democratic Party director steps down over sexual harassment allegations

John Frank and Tim Funk - The Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 16, 2012 07:38 AM

The executive director of the N.C. Democratic Party resigned Sunday amid mounting questions about a secret settlement to pay a former staffer to keep quiet about sexual harassment allegations.

The exodus of Jay Parmley capped a drama that started Friday with the circulation in the media of internal party emails and intensified Saturday with moves to address the alleged scandal at county Democratic conventions.

The controversy threatens to complicate the party’s agenda, which includes keeping the Governor’s Mansion and defeating a proposed N.C. constitutional amendment next month that would reaffirm the state’s ban on same-sex marriage.

It also comes at a time when the state’s Democrats are gearing up for the national political spotlight, with the 2012 convention in Charlotte and the battle to win for President Barack Obama what may be the most crucial swing state in the country.

SIGN UP

Parmley, who became the state party’s top administrator last year after holding a similar post in South Carolina, denied harassing any employee and blamed right-wing political enemies for “spreading a false and misleading story.”

“Even though I have not done anything wrong, it is clear to me that I need to move on,” Parmley wrote in his resignation letter. “I refuse to be a distraction.”

But his quick departure did little to answer questions about the settlement or quiet critics of Party Chairman David Parker, a Statesville attorney. A number of party activists, both openly and privately, are calling for him to resign, too.

In a statement, Parker said he accepted Parmley’s resignation and defended his decision not to fire him, saying “there have not been grounds for termination for cause.”

“In this political world of rushing to judgment and the presumption of guilt, however, my legal and personal opinion has been outweighed by this having become a political distraction and issue,” Parker said.

The exact nature of the harassment remains unclear, but a report with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission was allegedly filed.

Parker’s statement did not address the questions about a financial settlement and nondisclosure agreement with the former staffer who was fired in November soon after he complained about being sexually harassed by a senior party official.

“I think Jay did the right thing,” said Democratic consultant Perry Woods of Raleigh. “David Parker should join him.”

Watt Jones, a member of the state party’s executive committee, also said Parmley made the right decision for the party – and then went further.

“Clearly I think there are others who should resign, too,” Jones said.

In Mecklenburg County, Democratic Chairwoman Aisha Dew sought to put some distance between the party in Charlotte and the state party in Raleigh over what she called a “personnel matter.”

“We are separate entities  and we will continue to make that distinction,” she said of the county and state parties. “They did what they thought they needed to do. And we will keep moving forward in Mecklenburg.”

Asked if Parker should also resign, Dew said she didn’t have enough information to comment.

A complaint about the alleged settlement in internal party emails obtained Friday helped force the issue into the spotlight, but the documents did not identify the party official responsible.

According to Parmley’s resignation letter, they first surfaced in blogs associated with Art Pope, who bankrolls many conservative causes in North Carolina, and national conservative pundit Tucker Carlson.

In his statement, Parker declined to comment on any specifics of the allegations, citing advice of legal counsel, and defended Parmley’s tenure as party leader in South Carolina and Oklahoma earlier in his career.

The party’s turmoil made for tense conversations Saturday as local Democrats hosted dozens of county conventions across the state. At the Wake County event, Democratic activists introduced a resolution demanding Parker and Parmley resign or be fired. A similar resolution at the Durham County party convention called for a meeting to determine whether the party leaders should be removed.

In Wake County, Woods offered a resolution saying the party “must deal with sexual harassment claims in an open and transparent fashion.”

The party must be “not only beyond guilt but above suspicion, and even a hint or perception of a cover-up is damaging to the party’s credibility,” the resolution stated.

The resolution also said Parker’s statement Friday – which said the party won’t comment on the matter – only raised more questions about how it was handled behind closed doors, even out of the purview of other top party officials.

Muriel Offerman, treasurer of the state Democratic Party and a Parker ally, spoke against the resolution.

Woods pulled the resolution before a vote took place.

At Mecklenburg County’s Democratic Party convention on Saturday, Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton, a candidate in the May 8 Democratic gubernatorial primary, suggested party officials should resign or be fired if the allegations are true.

“We cannot tolerate sexual harassment in the workplace,” Dalton said. “If there’s any truth to the allegations, somebody should resign or be fired immediately. We won’t tolerate that.”

Charlotte Observer Staff Writer Jim Morrill and the Associated Press contributed.

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

Rep. Pelosi celebrates new Democratic majority in the House

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

California Republican Party Chair Jim Brulte is sounding a warning on the GOP needing to appeal more to Asian and Latino Americans. California House Republicans don’t know how to do that.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM
Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

Campaigns

Key Kamala Harris aide moves, sending a signal about her 2020 plans

December 18, 2018 02:18 PM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

Midterms

Bladen operative hired by Mark Harris says investigations will prove his innocence

December 18, 2018 05:35 PM
From politics to the pulpit and back again: Mark Harris’ rise on the religious right

Elections

From politics to the pulpit and back again: Mark Harris’ rise on the religious right

December 12, 2018 01:35 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story