McClatchy DC Logo

Charlotte was too aggressive in blacking out DNC emails, attorney says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

Charlotte was too aggressive in blacking out DNC emails, attorney says

Steve Harrison - The Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 27, 2012 07:11 AM

The Charlotte city attorney’s office said Monday it should not have blacked out portions of publicly released e-mails related to the Democratic National Convention because the information did not pose a security risk for the event.

The city, however, said it does not apologize “for being vigilant” in attempting to thwart efforts to disrupt or do harm during the convention.

Last year, the Observer requested DNC-related e-mails from city officials. The city turned over dozens of e-mails, but most were heavily redacted, offering little or no insight into how the city is preparing or how residents could be impacted.

After the Observer obtained copies of unredacted emails that included Mecklenburg Chief District Judge Lisa Bell and Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe, City Attorney Bob Hagemann said he would take a second look at the e-mails that had been released.

SIGN UP

Hagemann’s office on Monday released unredacted e-mails. Some detailed mundane parts of preparing for the convention.

One related to the color of paint chosen for a new Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police headquarters. That had previously been blacked out.

Another e-mail that was still blacked out was from a vendor hoping to sell the city security equipment.

Charlotte will receive $50 million in federal security funds, with up to half of that money being spent on equipment.

The City Attorney’s office said: “While the City’s initial review may be viewed as having been too conservative, the cold hard fact is that there are those that are looking for every advantage in achieving their goal of disrupting and doing harm during the convention. The City does not apologize for being vigilant in attempting to thwart such efforts.”

To read more, visit www.charlotteobserver.com.

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story