McClatchy DC Logo

Texas Senate race to replace Kay Bailey Hutchison will be expensive | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

Texas Senate race to replace Kay Bailey Hutchison will be expensive

Anna M. Tinsley - The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 20, 2012 07:33 AM

The race to replace U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison could soon become one of the nation's costliest contests.

Texans still don't know for sure when the primary will be, but three Republicans seeking the seat have already raised almost a combined $20 million for the race, federal election records show: $8.2 million by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, $6 million by former Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert and $3.9 million by former Solicitor General Ted Cruz.

"It is nearly guaranteed that this will be one of the biggest-spending Senate races in the nation, top five, I would guess," said Larry Sabato, a political analyst and director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia. "We're talking about Texas, a state that defines big.

"It will take many, many millions."

SIGN UP

What that money might buy, Sabato isn't so sure.

He and others say Dewhurst, the state's No. 2 leader and a millionaire who can fund his own campaign, may be hard to beat on statewide name recognition.

"It all depends on how much David Dewhurst wants to spend and he'll spend whatever he thinks is needed to win the primary and runoff," Sabato said. "The non-Dewhurst candidates are running a race for the runoff."

They are vying for the seat Hutchison said last year that she won't seek re-election to after more than 17 years in office. She is finishing her term, which ends in January.

Here's a look at the money being raised by the Texans who hope to replace her in the Senate, according to reports filed with the Federal Election Commission. The reports show contributions from October through December as well as totals for 2011.

Big bucks

Dewhurst banked $8.2 million for his campaign in 2011, including $3.5 million in the year's last three months, and has nearly $3.8 million on hand. His total includes $4 million that he lent the campaign, $2 million of which was given during the last quarter.

Among his donations: $5,000 from Wal-Mart heiress Alice Walton, $5,000 from Texas developer H. Ross Perot Jr. of Plano, $5,000 from Houston home builder and major Republican contributor Bob Perry, $2,500 from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and $2,500 from Fort Worth auto dealer Mac Churchill.

Other donations last year include $1,000 from Arlington attorney and North Texas Tollway Authority board member Victor Vandergriff, $500 from the Mike Moncrief campaign and $500 from Texas A&M University Chancellor John Sharp. Sharp, a former Democratic state comptroller, lost a 2002 bid for lieutenant governor to Dewhurst.

Dewhurst received donations from political action committees, including $10,000 from the Fort Worth-based Q Fed PAC, which has received donations from people who work for Renegade Swish, a limited partnership controlled by Fort Worth investment banker Geoffrey Raynor; $1,000 from the Bluebell Creameries Inc. PAC; $5,000 from the Fort Worth-based Burke Burnett Inc. PAC; and $2,500 from the Fort Worth-based BNSF RailPAC.

Leppert picked up more than $6 million last year, including nearly $900,000 in the last quarter, and has $4.1 million on hand.

Last year, he lent his campaign $3.1 million, including $500,000 on Dec. 29.

As former mayor of Dallas, many of his donations came from Dallas-area residents. Other notable donations include $1,000 from Philip Jones of Southlake, president of the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau; $1,250 from Brad Brookshire of Tyler, CEO of the Brookshire Grocery Co.; and $500 from Rick George of Arlington, an executive with the Texas Rangers.

He also received $500 from former RadioShack CEO Len Roberts of Fort Worth; $2,500 from Fort Worth auto dealer David McDavid; $2,500 from James Falk of Dallas, president and CEO of the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth; and $1,327.50 through an in-kind contribution from Harriet Miers of Dallas, a past State Bar of Texas president and onetime White House counsel to former President George W. Bush.

Cruz collected nearly $4 million in donations, including nearly $1.1 million in the last quarter of 2011, and has $2.9 million on hand. He lent the campaign $70,000 last year, none of it in the last quarter.

His donations include $7,500 from W.A. "Tex" Moncrief of Fort Worth; $2,500 from Fort Worth attorney Jay Rutherford; $250 from Fort Worth attorney Matt Krause, who is running for a seat in the Texas House; $1,241 from Elliot Goldman, a former Fort Worth mayoral candidate and former Hutchison aide.

He also received $2,500 from Dean Koontz of Newport Beach, Calif., and $2,500 from former Democratic gubernatorial candidate and Houston-based hair-care magnate Farouk Shami.

Cruz received donations from political action committees, including $5,000 from the Q Fed PAC and more than $420,000 from the conservative super PAC Club for Growth, which has been running at least half a million dollars' worth of TV ads against Dewhurst. Club for Growth officials say contributions sent to Cruz were bundled donations as well as one in-kind donation of a luncheon.

Other Republicans

Former ESPN football analyst Craig James jumped into the Senate race late last year, not formally launching his campaign until January. So he wasn't required to file campaign fundraising forms for 2011.

James, a former Southern Methodist University running back, is the father of Adam James, a Texas Tech football player whose family said he was mistreated after being diagnosed with a concussion. Tech coach Mike Leach, who denied mistreating James, was fired in 2009.

"As for fundraising, we are exactly where we expected to be at this point," said Meredith Turney, a spokeswoman for Craig James' campaign.

Glenn Addison of Magnolia received more than $85,000 last year, including $17,606 in the quarter,, and has more than $10,000 in cash on hand. Last year, he lent his campaign $937.77, including $59.95 in the last quarter.

Lela Pittenger of Driftwood raised more than $17,000 last year, including $13,159 in the last quarter, and was in the hole for nearly $13,000 at the end of 2011. Curt Cleaver of Keller received $9,097 last year, including $5,888.50 in the last three months, and has $421.75 on hand. Last year, he loaned his campaign $3,565.16, including $768.50 during the last three months of the year.

Campaign documents for "Doc Joe" Agris of Bellaire, Ben Gambini of Winnie and Charles Holcomb of Wimberley were not posted on the elections commission website.

Democratic dollars

Initially, five Democrats were in the race for their party's nomination for the Senate seat. That dropped to four this year when Jason Gibson of Sugar Land dropped. He endorsed Paul Sadler of Henderson, a former East Texas state representative, saying in a statement that he still believes that "Texas deserves a hardworking U.S. Senator who will challenge gridlock in Washington."

Sadler, who entered the race on the last day of filing in December, showed receiving no contributions for his campaign last year. He lent his campaign $5,000, which was used to pay for getting on the ballot, leaving him with no cash on hand at the end of the reporting period.

Daniel Boone of Canyon Lake received $5,401.42 last year, all in the last quarter, and had $266.42 on hand. He lent his campaign $5,135.

Sean Hubbard of Dallas received $16,972.07 last year, including $6,523 in the last quarter, and had $454.04 on hand. He has put more than $6,000 of his own money into the campaign, including $5,473 in the last three months.

A year-end campaign finance report for Addie Dainell Allen of Beaumont was not posted on the FEC website.

To read more, visit www.star-telegram.com.

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story