McClatchy DC Logo

Casino mogul Adelson donates another $10 million, boosting Gingrich | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

Casino mogul Adelson donates another $10 million, boosting Gingrich

Peter Stone - Center for Public Integrity

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 17, 2012 07:18 PM

WASHINGTON — Casino owner Sheldon Adelson is expected to send another $10 million donation within days to the outside group that's provided life support to Newt Gingrich's beleaguered presidential campaign, say fundraisers with ties to the multibillionaire.

The infusion would bring total donations from Adelson and his family to the pro-Gingrich "super" political action committee Winning Our Future to a stunning $21 million — far more than any super PAC donor has given to date. It also would be among the largest publicly reported donations to a single entity in federal campaign history.

The funds are expected to arrive in the next seven to 10 days and help fuel a multimillion-dollar television advertising blast prior to the Super Tuesday presidential sweepstakes on March 6, when 10 states conduct GOP primaries.

One fundraiser who has spoken with Adelson in the last week said that the wealthy supporter of Jewish and pro-Israel causes remains committed to keeping Gingrich in the race.

SIGN UP

It's unclear whether the pro-Gingrich group's ads will attack the frontrunners in the race for the Republican presidential nomination — former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum — burnish Gingrich's conservative image or both.

Odds are that the contribution won't win the nomination for Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives who is now trailing in the polls. But if the super PAC's new spending erodes conservative support from Santorum, that would be fine with Adelson, say fundraisers. The billionaire has told fundraisers that he likes Romney and deems him his second choice.

Rick Tyler, a senior adviser to the super PAC, declined to comment about whether any further donations were coming from Adelson. Tyler said in a phone interview that he was "optimistic" that the super PAC would be able to run an advertising campaign prior to Super Tuesday, but "to be effective, we would need a significant infusion of cash."

Ron Reese, a spokesman for Adelson, declined to comment.

While speculation abounds over whether Adelson would contribute still more money, his close associates in Las Vegas remain tight-lipped about any future funding for Winning Our Future. Adelson owns the Las Vegas Sands and is worth an estimated $21.5 billion. He is currently in Israel attending his son's bar mitzvah.

Adelson's largesse — which includes $5 million from his wife and $1 million more from other family members — was made possible by court rulings in early 2010 that permit corporations, individuals and unions to give unlimited amounts to groups that can advocate directly for the election or defeat of a candidate.

Adelson has known Gingrich since the mid-1990s. The two have close personal and political ties based largely on their shared backing of hard-line Israeli policies toward its Arab neighbors. An earlier $5 million Adelson donation funded an advertising drive by the super PAC in South Carolina that was crucial to Gingrich's primary victory there.

Adelson's expected $10 million gift, which was first reported by CBS News, is badly needed for advertising by the PAC and the Gingrich campaign, both of which have been strapped for cash since last month's Florida primary. In the Sunshine State, Gingrich lost badly to Romney, whose campaign and supportive super PAC easily outspent Gingrich's.

This week Winning Our Future plowed almost $1 million into radio ads nationwide aimed mostly at reaching conservatives who listen to talk radio personalities such as Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

The Adelson family donations would be the biggest since 2004, when liberal billionaire George Soros donated $23.7 million to Democratic-leaning groups in a failed effort to help Sen. John Kerry defeat President George W. Bush, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

(The Center for Public Integrity is a non-profit center for investigative journalism.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Billionaire Trump endorses millionaire Romney for president

Five Democratic 'super' PACs may seek joint operation

Obama's supporters deliver $40 million in campaign cash

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story