McClatchy DC Logo

ACLU raises concerns over ordinances in Charlotte, N.C., for DNC | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

ACLU raises concerns over ordinances in Charlotte, N.C., for DNC

Steve Harrison - The Charlotte Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 09, 2012 07:23 AM

The city of Charlotte's proposed crowd-control ordinances for the Democratic National Convention have concerned the American Civil Liberties Union, which fears the new rules would give police too much power.

The ACLU is specifically worried about the prohibition of a number of items during the DNC, including backpacks and duffle bags if they are "carried with the intent to conceal weapons or other prohibited items."

"To me, that looks like the cops can search your backpack for any reason," said Katy Parker, legal director of the ACLU North Carolina. "If you have no standards, it risks racial profiling, or other profiling."

The city of Charlotte is worried about violence during the four-day convention, which is being held at the Time Warner Cable Arena in September.

SIGN UP

In creating the ordinances, city officials said they worked with cities that have held political conventions.

City Attorney Bob Hagemann told council members last Monday he believes the changes pass constitutional muster.

"We think we have been very generous in terms of First Amendment rights," Hagemann said in an interview on Friday.

The city reached out to the ACLU last week for feedback on the proposed ordinances. Hagemann said Friday he will review the group's concerns. He added that the ACLU's concerns haven't been rejected and said "we may conclude there is merit in what (the group) has said."

The city is holding a public hearing on the ordinances tonight at the 6:30 p.m. City Council meeting.

One proposed change says someone "participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any festival or parade..." can't have a number of items. They include:

Bars, chains, shafts, cable, wire or lumber. In addition, paint guns, etching materials and spray paint containers also would be banned.

Obstruction instruments, such as pipes, wire, handcuffs, chains or padlocks.

A "container or object of sufficient weight that may be used as a projectile ... that could inflict serious injury ..."

Rocks, bottles, objects and bricks that are large enough to cause injury.

Fireworks and smoke bombs.

Body armor, shields, helmets or protective pads.

The ACLU said many of the prohibited items were reasonable.

But the group said it was concerned about other items that could be banned, including backpacks, duffle bags, satchels and coolers if they are carried "with the intent to conceal weapons."

Parker said she envisioned a scenario in which someone with a backpack could be searched without cause.

In addition, she said she was concerned about a ban on masks or scarves if "worn with the intent to hide's one identity while committing a crime."

She questioned how the police would know whether someone wearing a scarf was attempting to hide their identity.

Hagemann said there would extensive training to ensure the ordinances were enforced properly.

"The city attorneys won't be out there making these decisions," Parker said. "You have to have really good training of your police officers. It's about what happens on the street."

The proposed ordinances also would put an end to camping at old City Hall, which is part of the Occupy Charlotte movement.

Under the changes, protestors could stay on the old City Hall lawn all day and night and wouldn't be required to leave.

But they couldn't camp, sleep, store personal belongings or build any sort of temporary structure, according to the proposed ordinance. They also couldn't light a fire or a bonfire.

It's possible the new ordinance could be interpreted to allow protestors to sit on blankets or perhaps a chair. But sleeping would be prohibited.

"Technically there is no limit there on the hours in which one could demonstrate," Hagemann said. "If someone wants to do a candlelight vigil at midnight, they can do it. It's not sunup to sundown."

The camping has been allowed in part due to a loophole in current city ordinances, which doesn't address sleeping or camping on spaces designated as "public forums," such as the lawn around old City Hall.

Other such public forums include the plaza at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government and the section of Trade and Tryon Street, by the disc sculpture.

The city said Monday it expects to have a designated "protest route" on city streets for groups to march.

In addition, there will be a designated "protest zone" with sound amplification equipment near the convention site. Protest zones have been used in other cities holding political conventions, such as Boston for the 2004 DNC.

Charlotte said it will probably accept permit applications for the protest route by this spring. Hagemann said it will hold a "content neutral" lottery to grant the permits.

While there will be a designated protest zone, the city will continue to allow picketing on city sidewalks. One person may picket - or a group may picket - so long as they don't obstruct vehicular traffic, Hagemann said. In addition, picketers can't obstruct the sidewalk so people can't walk by, or can't get in or out of a building.

The city has requested - but doesn't require - that picketers with more than 50 people should give Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police two days advance notice before their protest.

To read more, visit www.charlotteobserver.com.

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story