McClatchy DC Logo

More controversy between Bachmann and N.H. campaign staffers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Elections

More controversy between Bachmann and N.H. campaign staffers

Jeremy Herb - McClatchy Tribune Newswire

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 24, 2011 07:49 PM

WASHINGTON — Rep. Michele Bachmann’s former New Hampshire staffers issued a statement on Monday that accused her top campaign aides of being “rude, unprofessional, dishonest, and at times cruel.”

In the wake of last week’s news that the entire New Hampshire staff had quit en masse, former New Hampshire campaign manager Jeff Chidester confirmed in an email to the Star Tribune Monday that the statement was sent on behalf of five staffers, including himself and several field directors. The statement notes that the staffers harbored no ill will toward Bachmann, but said she was “sequestered behind a wall of pretense, guarded by political operatives consumed by their own egos.”

Monday’s statement capped what has become a multi-day distraction for the Bachmann campaign, which is struggling to break its downward spiral and regain some momentum in Iowa.

Bachmann’s national campaign on Monday said the statement should be ignored because it was issued by someone never formally employed by the campaign, Karen Testerman, who ran for governor in New Hampshire last year.

SIGN UP

“The unauthorized news release was sent by a person who doesn’t even work for the campaign and has never had authority to speak on behalf of the campaign,” Bachmann campaign manager Keith Nahigian said in a statement. “We are not responding to comments made by a person who was not even a staff member in New Hampshire. Our focus is on Iowa.”

Testerman said she was asked by the national campaign as recently as last Thursday to get ready to file papers with the Secretary of State for Bachmann to appear on the New Hampshire ballot. Chidester confirmed that Testerman had been asked to file the papers.

Testerman also said she served as an unpaid adviser to the campaign and sent the statement on behalf of the five who resigned. She said she was on the campaign when Bachmann visited New Hampshire earlier this month and according to news reports held a fundraising house party for Bachmann in May. “I was the one that the campaign was calling on Friday to find out what was going on and where everybody was,” she said.Bachmann’s campaign did not comment beyond its statement.

GOP New Hampshire strategist Michael Dennehy said the controversy will add to questions about the durability of Bachmann’s campaign. “This is adding to the lingering nature of the story, and it’s not helpful all around for the Bachmann campaign,” he said.

The staffers said in the statement they were treated as “second-class citizens” by the Bachmann campaign and “constantly left out of the loop.”

The resignations have been a point of contention from the moment they were announced. Bachmann’s campaign manager claimed on Friday that the staff had not, in fact, resigned. By Sunday, Bachmann said in an interview with Fox News that “We are replacing the staff we had in New Hampshire.

Chidester told the Union Leader on Friday that he actually had quit a week earlier.

The staffers’ statement also noted that they were hired as paid staff but were asked to temporarily go off the payroll for a month in mid-September. Bachmann’s campaign spent $6 million last quarter but took in only $4.1 million.

(Jeremy Herb writes for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune)

  Comments  

Videos

Stacey Abrams “acknowledges” Brian Kemp’s win in Georgia governor’s race , she plans to sue over election

The battle for 2020: Possible Democratic presidential candidates

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

By Lindsay Wise,

Bryan Lowry, and

Jonathan Shorman

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Sen. Pat Roberts won’t seek re-election in 2020, ending a half century career in Kansas politics and setting up an open seat race.

KEEP READING

MORE ELECTIONS

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

Campaigns

Here is your handy guide to the 2020 presidential campaign

January 01, 2019 05:00 AM
Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Midterms

‘Do u care who u vote for?’ Investigators found indications of ballot harvesting in 2016

December 19, 2018 04:30 PM

Campaigns

Inside Kamala Harris’s relationship with an Indian-American community eager to claim her

December 19, 2018 12:00 AM
NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

Elections

NC election dispute to leave 773,000 without voice in Congress: ‘It is a great loss’

December 18, 2018 05:50 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story