McClatchy DC Logo

For GM, unsafe car design now means having to say you’re sorry | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Congress

For GM, unsafe car design now means having to say you’re sorry

By Maria Recio - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 01, 2014 05:45 PM

It’s been nearly 50 years since a General Motors executive made a public apology before Congress, acknowledging that the giant car maker had hired private detectives to harass a young, crusading lawyer for auto safety by the name of Ralph Nader.

The March 1966 hearing was as riveting in its time as GM chief Mary Barra’s apology for faulty ignition switches was Tuesday on Capitol Hill.

Barra, who just took over the helm of the GM in January, went before the House Energy and Commerce Committee’s panel on Oversight and Investigations to acknowledge GM’s failure to recall the switches, which have been linked to 13 deaths.

“Today’s GM will do the right thing,” she said. “That begins with my sincere apologies to everyone who has been affected by this recall _ especially to the families and friends of those who lost their lives or were injured. I am deeply sorry.”

SIGN UP

To Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Nader-founded Center for Auto Safety, Barra’s contrition was a defining moment.

“This is the first public apology by a top GM executive since 1966,” he said. “That’s the significance.”

Ditlow said that while the car industry has been responsible for other safety flaws since then, “GM does not apologize easily.”

In 1966, GM president James Roche apologized at a televised Senate subcommittee hearing for the “kind of harassment to which Mr. Nader has apparently been subjected.”

The year before, Nader had published his groundbreaking investigation, “Unsafe at Any Speed,” a book that exposed the American auto industry as prioritizing design and comfort over safety. Chief among his examples were design flaws in GM’s popular Corvair.

GM’s investigation of Nader included reportedly tapping his phones and hiring prostitutes to lure him into a compromising position. The car maker wanted to discredit him, or as a young Sen. Robert Kennedy, D-N.Y., who served on the Senate committee, said at the time, “possibly blackmail” him.

Nader sued GM and settled for $425,000, a record at the time. He used the money to fund his consumer activist organizations, staffed by what came to be known as “Nader’s Raiders.”

Related stories from McClatchy DC

congress

GM chief deflects lawmakers amid new revelations on ignitions

April 01, 2014 08:02 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Google CEO explains why ‘idiot’ search shows Trump photos

Rep. Chabot grills Google’s Sundar Pichai on search ‘bias’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE CONGRESS

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story