McClatchy DC Logo

N.C. lawmaker threatens to sue primary foe over Iraq ad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Congress

N.C. lawmaker threatens to sue primary foe over Iraq ad

Lisa Zagaroli - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 21, 2008 05:46 PM

WASHINGTON — A North Carolina congressman has threatened legal action against his Republican primary challenger over a television ad that accuses him of "revealing troop positions" during a recent trip to Iraq, "and just two days later, two Americans died."

Rep. Patrick McHenry says the 30-second ad, being aired on local cable channels and the Internet by attorney Lance Sigmon of Newton, N.C., is defamatory.

The controversy began last month when McHenry, a two-term lawmaker, returned from his first trip to Iraq.

In a speech to local Republicans, McHenry said he'd tried to get into a gym near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad but was turned away by a "two-bit security guard." Then, McHenry posted a video of himself in the Green Zone talking about how close enemy rocket attacks had come while he was there.

SIGN UP

McHenry voluntarily pulled the video after a veterans group called VoteVets.org accused McHenry of giving away intelligence information that could aid terrorist organizations in targeting the Green Zone.

Sigmon last week called for an investigation into whether McHenry endangered Americans' lives by detailing the success of enemy attacks.

A letter from McHenry's attorney, R. Kelsey Williams, tells Sigmon to "cease and desist" from airing his campaign ad titled "Two Bit."

"Representative McHenry has never alluded to nor mentioned any positions of troops," said the letter, dated Friday but made public Monday. "Also, said ad asserts that the aforementioned video caused the death of two Americans. This statement is on its face false."

Sigmon campaign manager Joe Brannock said that the ad doesn't accuse McHenry of directly causing the deaths and that Sigmon has no plans to stop airing it.

"I, along with many other military veterans, believe that through this poor judgment and concern for his political image, he endangered our troops," Sigmon said in a statement.

McHenry hasn't elaborated much about the episode, but he said in an interview last week that he had been trying to convey "a very personal story."

"I think the people who have heard my story about the trip understand the impact it had on me as an individual," he said. "It was quite an eye-opening experience and I'll let it rest at that."

  Comments  

Videos

Google CEO explains why ‘idiot’ search shows Trump photos

Rep. Chabot grills Google’s Sundar Pichai on search ‘bias’

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts
Video media Created with Sketch.

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

By Andrea Drusch and

Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

The Kansas Republican took heat during his last re-election for not owning a home in Kansas. On Thursday just his wife, who lives with him in Virginia, joined Roberts to man the empty Senate.

KEEP READING

MORE CONGRESS

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail  wheelchairs they break

Congress

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story