Politics & Government

Kentucky Senate debate in doubt as deadline approaches for Rand Paul

U.S. Senate candidate Charles Booker and others spoke at the Marshall County Democrats 25th annual Bean Dinner in August before Fancy Farm.
U.S. Senate candidate Charles Booker and others spoke at the Marshall County Democrats 25th annual Bean Dinner in August before Fancy Farm. swalker@herald-leader.com

The prospect for a U.S. Senate debate this fall between Rand Paul and Charles Booker appears to be dwindling as a deadline approaches for the incumbent Republican to respond.

KET, the state’s Lexington-based PBS affiliate, has offered both candidates the opportunity for a joint appearance on Oct. 3.

While Booker, the Democratic nominee, has confirmed his plan to appear, Paul has not.

A Paul spokesperson did not respond to an inquiry; the campaign has until Friday to confirm participation.

KET is notably presenting the forum as a series of “candidate programs” featuring interviews with the contenders, rather than fully engaged debates, which incumbents and front-runners in races across the country are increasingly avoiding.

Last week, Sixth District Republican Rep. Andy Barr implicitly indicated in a statement he would forego appearances with his Democratic opponent, Geoffrey Young.

“I will take my case for re-election directly to the voters I want the honor of representing in Congress,” Barr said in a cursory statement on debates.

In October of 2020, Mitch McConnell debated his Democratic opponent Amy McGrath on Kentucky’s Gray Television stations. In 2016, Paul agreed to a single debate against his Democratic opponent, Jim Gray, on KET.

Booker, a severe underdog to Paul, has an obvious incentive to go face-to-face with Paul.

“I would like to call Rand Paul a coward but I want him to prove me wrong and debate me because the people of Kentucky want to hear the vision for their lives,” Booker said in July. “I will go anywhere Rand Paul wants to, on any court.”

Earlier this summer in Bowling Green, Paul said he hadn’t decided on whether he’d take a debate with Booker.

This story was originally published September 21, 2022 at 12:36 PM.

David Catanese
McClatchy DC
David Catanese is a national political correspondent for McClatchy in Washington. He’s covered campaigns for more than a decade, previously working at U.S. News & World Report and Politico. Prior to that he was a television reporter for NBC affiliates in Missouri and North Dakota. You can send tips, smart takes and critiques to dcatanese@mcclatchydc.com.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER