McConnell expresses ‘grave concerns’ about FEMA response to Eastern Ky. flooding
Sen. Mitch McConnell said he has personally asked FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell to “step up” her agency’s response to the recovery effort from floods that ravaged the eastern half of the commonwealth in late July.
“Though FEMA is playing a critical role in Eastern Kentucky’s recovery, Kentuckians have grave concerns about shortcomings in the federal response,” McConnell said. “The agency’s convoluted application processes have left far too many flood victims without the timely aid they need, often due to simple clerical errors.”
After hearing these concerns during visits, the Senate Minority Leader said he placed a call to Criswell to help ensure aid would flow more smoothly to Eastern Kentucky cities and counties.
“And I convened leaders from our hardest-hit counties, state legislature, and federal response agencies so we have clearer lines of communication moving forward,” McConnell added.
A FEMA spokesperson, Jeremy Edwards, noted that FEMA has already provided nearly $60 million in direct assistance, assisting nearly 7,000 Kentucky households.
“As President Biden and Administrator Criswell have stated, FEMA will help Kentuckians recover from this disaster for as long as it takes,” said Edwards. “That’s because FEMA has been working closely with our partners in the Commonwealth of Kentucky to meet survivors where they are, helping them with applications for assistance, documentation submissions and referrals to other agencies and volunteer organizations.
“We continue to reach out to applicants we have been unable to contact by calling, texting and sending specialized teams door-to-door to conduct home inspections, provide applicant updates and answer any questions on the spot. These efforts have helped more than 3,200 applicants who were previously ineligible receive assistance, and we will continue working to ensure survivors receive every dollar of assistance legally possible.”
Edwards did not directly address McConnell’s charge of application problems and clerical errors.
The flooding, which commenced on July 27, took the lives of at least 39 people and destroyed dozens of homes and businesses in a dozen different counties.
Since then, the federal government has distributed $92 million in federal grants, loans and flood insurance payments to residents and the counties of Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Knott, Leslie, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Owsley, Perry, Pike and Whitley.
That’s included $53.6 million from FEMA for individual assistance, including rental assistance for 3,833 homeowners and renters, $27.1 million for disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration and $11.3 million through the National Flood Insurance Program.
More than 800 federal personnel from around the country have been in Kentucky to help with the recovery.
Even more than a month later, challenges remain. Flood-damaged roads, bridges and restricted access to routes have prevented some flood victims from attaining FEMA aid.
McConnell spent several days touring the aftermath and described what he saw in vivid detail.
“What I saw were scenes of absolute destruction. Water-logged houses. Swollen creeks. Washed-out roads,” McConnell said. “I heard directly from survivors who have shouldered impossible burdens over the past month, struggling to salvage belongings and rebuild their lives.”
Late last week, FEMA made Casey and Harlan counties eligible for grants for debris removal and work to repair public facilities that were damaged by the flooding.
Eastern Kentucky flood victims have until Sept. 28, 2022 to apply for FEMA disaster assistance.
To request assistance, applicants should contact KY Division of Emergency Management, or email pa.help@KY-em.org or call 1-800-621-3362.
This story has been updated to include a response from FEMA.
This story was originally published September 7, 2022 at 10:39 AM.