McClatchy DC Logo

Ebola czar Klain to depart White House in March | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Ebola czar Klain to depart White House in March

By Anita Kumar - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 08, 2014 05:52 PM

President Barack Obama’s Ebola czar Ron Klain will depart in March, the White House said Monday.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Klain is planning to leave because he originally came on board as a special government employee, which allows individuals to serve the government for 130 days. Klain’s 130 days expires at the beginning of March.

Obama tapped the former longtime top-level aide to coordinate the administration’s response to the Ebola virus. He is charged with protecting the American people by detecting, isolating and treating Ebola patients in this country without distracting from the aggressive commitment to stopping Ebola at the source in West Africa.

“There is no doubt we've made substantial progress against Ebola since Mr. Klain came on board,” Earnest told reporters. “We've made substantial progress in leveraging U.S. resources in West Africa to try to stop this Ebola outbreak in its tracks...We've also made important progress in enhancing the readiness of medical facilities here at home.”

SIGN UP

When Klain came on board in October there were only three medical facilities in the United States prepped to treat an Ebola patient safely, Earnest said. Now, that number is now up to 35 hospitals nationwide.

Obama had been criticized for his response to Ebola in the United States -- specifically in terms of how prepared hospitals and health care workers have been for potential Ebola patients and failing to call a travel ban from West Africa.

Klain, an attorney, was serving as president of Case Holdings and general counsel of Revolution, an investment group, when he began the temporary job.

Earnest said the administration will reevaluate whether to have a second Ebola czar next year.

“The question that we'll have to answer is...will it require one individual to dedicate 100 percent of their time to focusing on this to continue the progress towards that goal?” he asked. “It's still an open question now about whether or not that will be required, and something I anticipate we'll discuss in run-up to early March next year.”

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story