President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama on Saturday will mark the one-year anniversary of the shooting at a Connecticut elementary school with a moment of silence.
Press Secretary Jay Carney said the two will "honor the lives and legacies of the children and educators lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School" by lighting candles and holding a moment of silence in the Map Room at the White House.
Carney earlier this week defended the administration's failure to convince lawmakers to tighten the nation's gun control laws in the wake of the shooting, saying Obama was "extremely disappointed in Congress's failure to vote in accordance with the wishes of the overwhelming majority of the American people in favor of common-sense improvements to our background check system."
The White House has said it took 23 executive actions to curb gun violence, including more money for mental health counseling and Carney said it would continue to press Congress to take action, as well as "continue to take action where we can without Congress to reduce gun violence in America."
Comments