McClatchy DC Logo

White House press corps erupts over lack of access to Obama | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

White House press corps erupts over lack of access to Obama

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 12, 2013 04:13 PM

A routine daily press briefing at the White House turned raucous Thursday as reporters complained to Press Secretary Jay Carney about the lack of access to President Barack Obama.

The nation’s largest news organizations last month lodged a complaint against the White House for imposing unprecedented limitations on photojournalists and Carney insisted Thursday that the White House was aware of the issue and was working with the groups to improve access.

The issue took on renewed urgency this week when the White House released official photographs of Obama and former President George W. Bush aboard Air Force One on the trip to Nelson Mandela's memorial service. News photographers were also aboard the plane, but were not allowed acess.

Reporters noted the two presidents spent nearly 40 hours on the flights and it was an historic occasion -- a sitting and former president and their wives, flying to South Africa together to attend a world figure's memorial service.

SIGN UP

"You understand why we would consider it a missed opportunity," CBS' News' Major Garrett said to Carney.

The dustup came as Santiago Lyon, a longtime photojournalist, and vice president and director of photography at The Associated Press, said in a New York Times opinion piece that the administration "has systematically tried to bypass the media by releasing a sanitized visual record of his activities through official photographs and videos, at the expense of independent journalistic access."

Carney insisted the White House is "working and have been working on expanding access where we can."

Steven Thomma, president of the White House Correspondents' Association said the group has had two meetings with White House press staff to discuss "ways to improve access and rein in what we see as competition from White House staff" and plans a third by the end of the year. That meeting will include representatives of the broad media consortium that wrote to complain about the situation, including McClatchy.

Thomma, who is also McClatchy’s government and politics editor and a senior White House reporter, said the association was thankful to White House staff for working to get the press into the stadium for Mandela's service after South African officials had said all such press would be held off site.

But, he said the association regrets that the White House did not allow news photographers to "witness and record the historic meeting of the presidents and first ladies aboard Air Force One, while releasing White House photos.

"Air Force One is U.S. territory, our pool was aboard, and inviting them in for even a few moments would have been easy and the right thing to do," Thomma said.

Carney said that "from the president on down, everyone here believes strongly in the absolute necessity of a free and independent press to cover the presidency, to cover the government, to cover Washington."

But veteran reporters challenged him and said the administration has taken unprecedented steps to restrict access, preferring to send out its own version of events.

"Having covered presidents since Bush 41, can say Obama/team least accessible to WH correspts'," tweeted Alexis Simendinger, a reporter for Real Clear Politics.

  Comments  

Videos

Trump says he could use executive power on border wall

A historic day for women as 116th Congress is sworn in

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Climate change played key role in Syrian civil war and helped Brexit, Al Gore says

March 24, 2017 10:19 AM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM
Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM
HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story