McClatchy DC Logo

NC poverty program suspended because of federal shutdown | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

NC poverty program suspended because of federal shutdown

Rob Chrisstensen - Raleigh News & Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 15, 2013 03:55 PM

North Carolina on Monday suspended its Work First program, formerly known as welfare, because of the federal shutdown in Washington.

County social service agencies stopped processing new applications for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families because federal monies are expected to dry up by November unless Congress can reach a deal for funding the federal government.

The Department of Health and Human Services sent out a letter Thursday to county social service directors telling them to stop processing new applications as well as re-certifications for November.

“We will be unable to make any Work First Family Assistance payments in November 2013 unless a continuing resolution or compromise on federal funding has been reached by the federal government,” wrote Wayne Black director of the division of Social Services.

SIGN UP

Those who are already signed up for the short-term assistance program will receive their October checks.

TANF is the second major federally funded social services program in North Carolina to feel the effect of the government shutdown. Last week, DHHS became the only such state agency in the country to suspend its federally funded food program for low income mothers and babies – called the WIC program – only to reverse itself when the state budget director Art Pope said there was money available.

The only state that has withheld TANF checks since the shutdown is Arizona. But after her administration was sharply criticized for not tapping into the state’s rainy day fund, Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, redirected $650,000 in state funds to keep the program going through October.

Officials in Michigan have warned that funding for their TANF program would soon run out.

There are 20,709 North Carolina residents in the TANF program – 6,948 parents of dependent children and 13,761 children who live with someone other than a parent. In September, the program cost $4.7 million in federal funds in North Carolina.

The state started the Work First program in 1995 after Congress passed welfare reform. The program provides short-term training, cash, child care referrals and other services to help parents become employed, and it usually provides assistance for only two years.

  Comments  

Videos

Trump says he could use executive power on border wall

A historic day for women as 116th Congress is sworn in

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

Read Next

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

Congress

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham declared there would be no deal to end the government shutdown until Democrats stopped calling Republicans “racists” — the latest example of incendiary rhetoric in both parties.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Congress

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM
Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM
Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story