McClatchy DC Logo

Women workers at Florida prison win class-action status in sexual harassment case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Women workers at Florida prison win class-action status in sexual harassment case

By Michael Doyle - McClatchy Washington Bureau

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 29, 2013 05:17 PM

Dozens of female staffers say they regularly confront groping, rape threats, public masturbation and other serious sexual harassment while overseeing inmates at the large federal prison complex in Coleman, Fla.

But though they say the Coleman prison environment is “saturated with sexual abuse and assaults,” the female workers also complain that the federal Bureau of Prisons has failed to act. In some cases, the employees say, supervisors have simply thrown out written complaints about inmate sexual misconduct.

Now, in an unusual battle that split the Justice Department, the female workers at Federal Correctional Complex Coleman have won a crucial legal victory. With the Justice Department’s eventual support, but over the Bureau of Prisons’ objections, a Miami-based administrative judge has granted powerful class-action status to the aggrieved employees.

“We have to make sure the inmates aren’t running out of control,” Washington-based attorney Cyrus Mehri, who represents the workers, said in an interview Wednesday, “and we have to make sure the Bureau of Prisons takes care of its officers.”

SIGN UP

The class-action decision rendered April 9 by Administrative Judge Joy R. Helprin, endorsed last week by the Justice Department, adds clout to the complaint as it proceeds through the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Tammy Padgett, for instance, was one of more than 60 female workers to file an affidavit complaining about the Coleman environment, saying she endures “masturbatory behavior approximately once per week.” A Coleman teacher, Eva Ryles, said an inmate in her classroom “masturbated to the point of ejaculation,” while others say inmates have placed sperm in public places.

Vile language is commonplace, the women say, with Ryles adding that “many women have resorted to wearing smocks, jackets or other heavy clothing” even in hot weather in hopes of avoiding harassment.

“I hear offensive sexual comments virtually every day at multiple locations in the institution,” Coleman treatment specialist Taronica White declared in an affidavit. “I routinely hear comments such as, ‘Ms. White, will you come (blank) my (blank.)”’

White added that she rarely experienced such treatment when she worked at a federal facility in Miami “because it simply was not tolerated.”

Citing the “pending litigation,” Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman Traci Billingsley declined to comment Wednesday.

Located in central Florida, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando, the Coleman complex consists of low- and medium-security facilities and two high-security penitentiaries. All told, the Coleman complex currently houses about 7,100 inmates.

Workers represented by Mehri’s partner, Heidi R. Burakiewicz, first filed the EEOC complaint in 2011.

The class-action certification is not the last word, and further Equal Employment Opportunity Commission proceedings will continue. The certification is important for several reasons, though; notably, it means the complaint now covers more than 360 women who have worked at the Coleman complex since February 2011.

More than 150 of the women already have sought equal opportunity counseling at Coleman, and more than 200 already have contacted legal counsel. The numbers helped convince Helprin, the administrative judge, that the complaint met the standards for a class action.

The decision was further underscored last week when the Justice Department quietly agreed to accept Helprin’s class-action determination.

“The core facts developed thus far, based in large measure on 64 different affidavits, show that women employees of FCC Coleman who came into contact with inmates have been subjected to vulgar, assaultive and graphic sex-based conduct by some inmates,” the Justice Department conceded in a memo dated May 22.

Though saying the class-action question was a “close call,” the Justice Department officials pointed out that many female Coleman workers had recounted similar experiences about how, when they complained, Bureau of Prisons managers “discouraged, destroyed or in some instances downgraded the seriousness of disciplinary reports.”

The Bureau of Prisons had urged the Justice Department to appeal the class-action decision, arguing in a May 15 brief that the judge had “failed to apply the correct legal standard.” The bureau also asserted that the judge “accepted as true, with no evidence,” claims made by the women about the Coleman environment.

Mehri countered Wednesday that “we think the evidence is so overwhelming that we will prevail.” He said he hopes the case leads to specific fixes at Coleman, as well as national standards to protect female workers, in addition to payments for the Coleman women.

“They were treated with the utmost indignity in the workplace,” Mehri said.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

latest-news

Department of Justice Final Order

May 31, 2013 05:04 PM

latest-news

Class Certification Decision on Sexual Harassment

May 31, 2013 05:04 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story