McClatchy DC Logo

Obama won't send witness to Senate to explain legality of drone war | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Obama won't send witness to Senate to explain legality of drone war

By Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 17, 2013 07:13 PM

The Obama administration does not intend to send a witness to testify at a Senate hearing next week on the legality of the U.S. targeted killing program, the White House said Wednesday.

The decision illustrates the limits of President Barack Obama’s pledge in his State of the Union speech on Feb. 12 to provide greater transparency into top-secret drone operations that have killed thousands of suspected terrorists in Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen.

The Senate Judiciary Committee’s Constitution subcommittee was to have held a hearing Tuesday on the legality of targeted killings, those who can be targeted and the creation of a “transparent legal framework for the use of drones.” The session, however, was postponed until April 23 to allow more time for the White House to agree to send a witness.

That effort, however, appeared to have fallen through.

SIGN UP

“We do not currently plan to send a witness to this hearing and have remained in close contact with the committee about how we can best provide them the information they require,” Caitlin Hayden, a National Security Council spokeswoman, wrote in an email to McClatchy.

She added that the White House would continue working with lawmakers “to ensure not only that our targeting, detention and prosecution of terrorists remains consistent with our laws and system of checks and balances, but that our efforts are even more transparent to the American people and the world.”

Hayden declined to say why the administration doesn’t plan to provide a witness for the hearing.

The office of Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., the subcommittee chairman, said it would have no comment. Durbin was expected to proceed with the session next week whether or not an administration witness attends.

Obama’s targeted killing program has come under increased examination amid charges by some human and civil rights groups and others that it violates international and U.S. law, has claimed hundreds of civilian lives and has provoked intense popular anger that has helped al Qaida and other violent extremist groups recruit new radicals.

Earlier this month, McClatchy published a review of classified U.S. intelligence reports showing that scores of CIA drone strikes in Pakistan have killed hundreds of suspected lower-level Afghan, Pakistani and unidentified “other militants.” That finding contrasts with the administration’s contentions that they’ve only targeted identified senior leaders of al Qaida and associated forces planning imminent violent attacks on the United States.

On Friday, 10 civil and human rights groups wrote a joint letter to Obama urging him to make public the secret Justice Department legal opinions underpinning targeted killings, ensure adequate congressional oversight and create mechanisms for tracking and responding to civilian casualties.

C. Dixon Osburne, director of the law and security program at Human Rights First, one of the letter’s signatories, said the administration’s decision not to send a witness to the hearing ran counter to Obama’s transparency pledge.

“The president made pretty clear in the State of the Union (speech) that the administration owed Congress and the public more transparency about its drone operations. Sending a witness to the hearing would be a good step in that direction. Not sending a witness keeps the targeted killing program cloaked in secrecy,” he said.

The administration contends that the strikes comply with domestic and international laws, including the laws of war, and are conducted only after rigorous reviews by top officials. Officials say U.S. drone attacks have crippled al Qaida’s core leadership and undermined its ability to conduct complex attacks against U.S. and other targets. It also says that civilian casualties have been “exceedingly rare.”

Nearly 4,000 people have been killed in some 420 targeted killing operations since the first U.S. drone strike was conducted under the Bush administration in October 2001.

About 90 percent have been staged by the CIA, the vast majority since Obama took office, against suspected extremists in Pakistan’s tribal area bordering Afghanistan, according to Micah Zenko, an expert with the Council on Foreign Relations, an independent policy institute. The rest were launched by the CIA and the military’s Joint Special Operations Command in Yemen and by the latter in Somalia.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

White House responds to drone pressure: 'We will continue to disclose as much as we can'

April 12, 2013 08:05 PM

latest-news

White House declines comment on drone documents

April 11, 2013 03:39 PM

world

U.S. secret: CIA collaborated with Pakistan spy agency in drone war

April 09, 2013 04:13 PM

world

Obama’s drone war kills ‘others,’ not just al Qaida leaders

April 09, 2013 04:13 PM

latest-news

California lawmakers look to regulate, attract drone industry to state

April 03, 2013 01:34 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story