McClatchy DC Logo

Florida land-use case at Supreme Court may have national impact | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Florida land-use case at Supreme Court may have national impact

By Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 11, 2013 03:56 PM

Coy Koontz Sr. had a plan when he bought 14.9 acres east of Orlando, Fla. It did not include having his son end up at the U.S. Supreme Court, however.

But now 18 years of legal wrangling have brought the Koontz family and government agencies to the brink of a climactic court argument. The outcome will influence the power of government to impose certain monetary conditions before granting land-use permits.

“I’m glad this is almost over,” Coy Koontz Jr. said in a telephone interview, adding that “this affects many, many people.”

Certainly, the case that will be heard Tuesday under the name Koontz v. St. Johns River Water Management District has attracted a national cast of characters. The younger Koontz, whose father died in 2000, is taking the train up from Raleigh, N.C., for the arguments; he and his wife live in North Wilkesboro, N.C. Koontz’s attorney with the Pacific Legal Foundation, Paul J. Beard II, is flying out from Sacramento, Calif. Nationwide, kibitzers are furiously taking sides.

SIGN UP

“It’s important enough that we have nine amicus briefs on one side and five amicus briefs on the other,” Beard said Friday.

The National Association of Home Builders and conservative allies have lined up with the Koontz family. They want the court to rule that a government agency that refuses a land-use permit because the property owner declines to pay certain fees has essentially taken the property. This would compel agencies to more strictly justify their permit requirements.

From the opposite side, California and 18 other states are urging the court not to impede the widespread use of fees by characterizing them as a taking.

“Impact fees on developments are used by a large percentage of localities across the nation,” notes the states’ legal brief, chiefly authored by California Supervising Deputy Attorney General Daniel L. Siegel, adding that “to offset harm caused by proposed projects, state and local governments widely condition approvals on mitigation, often in the form of mitigation fees.”

The Koontz case is one of several private-property disputes that are before the Supreme Court this term. The central question invariably revolves around the Fifth Amendment rule declaring that “nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.” Lots of judicial firepower has been devoted to teasing apart what this means.

Last month, for instance, the Supreme Court unanimously agreed that property owners might deserve payment when public agencies temporarily flood their land. That case started when the Army Corps of Engineers released water from the Clearwater Dam in Missouri, temporarily but repeatedly flooding a wildlife management area in Arkansas.

The Florida case probably won’t invite similar unanimity, though it has an obvious appeal for the court’s conservative wing.

The senior Koontz bought the land in 1972 with hopes of building a small commercial project near two highways. The St. Johns River Water Management District subsequently designated much of the property as a “riparian habitat protection zone.” In exchange for securing a permit, Koontz reluctantly agreed to give the district a conservation easement on about 11.5 acres.

“He worked all his life,” said his son, a 68-year-old retired general contractor, “and he didn’t understand why he had to give up 75 percent of the land.”

Citing the loss of valuable wetlands, water district officials told Koontz Sr. in 1994 that he also would have to offer additional mitigation; for instance, by paying to restore about 50 acres of district land elsewhere. He refused, so the district rejected his permit application. He sued.

One Florida court ordered the water district to pay Koontz more than $325,000 as compensation, but the Florida Supreme Court reversed this.

“Nothing was taken from (Koontz) when the permit was denied,” the water district’s appellate attorney, Paul R.Q. Wolfson, wrote in a legal brief, adding that Koontz “did not have to convey any property interest to the district or suffer any other invasion of his property.”

The outcome will turn, in part, on a key prior case that involved the California Coastal Commission. In 1987, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the California agency effectively took a Ventura County landowner’s property by requiring a public easement for beach access in exchange for granting a building renovation permit.

Warning against an "out-and-out plan of extortion" by state officials, Justice Antonin Scalia reasoned in the California case that to avoid being on the hook for a "taking" of private property, government officials must demonstrate a tight fit between the permit requirement and the project.

The Florida property, meanwhile, has changed little despite the legal fights.

“It’s still vacant,” Koontz Jr. said. “It’s still raw.”

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story