McClatchy DC Logo

Texas hopes to keep C-130 squadron after Panetta halts aircraft transfers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Texas hopes to keep C-130 squadron after Panetta halts aircraft transfers

Chris Vaughn - The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 26, 2012 07:29 AM

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has ordered the Air Force to suspend all aircraft transfers and retirements scheduled for this fiscal year, bowing to fierce congressional opposition to significant changes in the Air National Guard and restoring hope that Texas may get to keep a squadron of C-130 aircraft.

Panetta's letter, mailed Friday to the Senate defense appropriations subcommittee, does not directly affect the aircraft of the Texas Air National Guard's 136th Airlift Wing, based at Naval Air Station Fort Worth. Those aircraft had been designated by the Air Force to move to Great Falls, Mont., in fiscal 2014, which state and congressional officials throughout the Gulf Coast states have fought vigorously.

But Panetta's overruling of the Air Force and suspension of this year's aircraft transfers was received warmly by members of the Texas delegation, who believe that it signals a willingness to negotiate thorny issues like the C-130 move.

"I applaud Secretary Panetta's decision to suspend the Air Force's current plan to relocate Air National Guard aircraft," said Rep. Kay Granger, R-Fort Worth. "This decision supports the entire Texas and Gulf Coast delegations' efforts to keep our C-130 squadron in Fort Worth. These planes are critical to our ability to respond to natural disasters throughout the region."

SIGN UP

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said she, too, is pleased with Panetta's decision and has reiterated to him that "there is no military advantage to moving these aircraft and incurring the cost of building new facilities to house them."

"This decision gives the Air Force and Congress an opportunity to work toward a long-term plan for the best use of our nation's Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve assets," she told the Star-Telegram.

The uproar began early this year when the Air Force announced that it would cut 5,000 personnel in the Air National Guard, retire 151 Guard aircraft and move dozens more planes within several years. Air National Guard squadrons, which governors can use during emergencies, are prized in states and closely guarded by political leaders.

In Texas, the Air Force wants to move the C-130s from Fort Worth to Montana and replace them with much smaller MC-12 Liberty aircraft, used for gathering intelligence. Officials throughout Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida pushed back, saying the four-engine C-130s are essential during hurricanes and other disasters.

They are equally desired by officials in Montana, who are scheduled to see their Air National Guard F-15 fighters moved out of state as part of the nationwide realignment. Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer sued the federal government this month to stop the military from moving the F-15s without guaranteeing replacements.

Air Force leaders did not yield on their plans, arguing that the changes are necessary to save money, retire older aircraft and fulfill the service's missions. They said more cuts had to come in the part-time Guard than in the active-duty ranks.

Both the House and Senate versions of the fiscal 2013 defense budget force the Air Force to stop its plans until cost-benefit analyses can be done; Panetta acknowledged in the letter that this is creating problems.

"This provision has introduced a new dimension of complexity to the current situation, as it impacts force structure adjustments addressed in budgets from FY 2010, FY 2011 and FY 2012 involving the transfer of approximately 150 aircraft among various locations and the retirement of 98 aircraft," the letter says. "... While the Air Force could proceed with these previously addressed moves, the more prudent course of action is to take a cautious approach."

Panetta wrote to the senators that Congress must provide "clear support for a way forward" by settling the aircraft issue in the fiscal 2013 budget.

"I would also caution that delaying FY 2013 force structure decisions and potentially revisiting decisions from earlier budget cycles will only make our FY 2014 deliberations even more complex and difficult," the letter says.

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story