McClatchy DC Logo

White House challenges McClatchy story, but provides no facts to counter it | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

White House challenges McClatchy story, but provides no facts to counter it

McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

October 26, 2011 08:06 PM

WASHINGTON — The White House on Wednesday said a McClatchy news story was false when it reported that President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden were not deeply involved in talks with Iraqi officials over whether to leave a residual force of U.S. troops in the country before deciding to withdraw all U.S. troops by the end of this year.

The White House refused, however, to release details of Obama’s and Biden’s involvement that would counter the details in the story.

McClatchy on Tuesday reported that “President Barack Obama and his point man on Iraq, Vice President Joe Biden, remained largely aloof from the process” of negotiating whether U.S. troops could or would remain in Iraq past the end of this year.

The story quoted logs provided by the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad showing that no talks between the president and vice president and Iraqi officials from March through October.

SIGN UP

The logs recorded the White House statements, or “readouts,” of calls made by the president or vice president.

The story also quoted a spokesman for the government of Iraq. And it noted that, in addition to the embassy’s log records, Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki’s office had put out a statement on Sept. 22 saying that Maliki and Biden had discussed that day a possible residual U.S. force.

“That report is just categorically false to suggest that the president and the vice president hadn’t been in communication with Iraqi leaders,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Wednesday afternoon when asked by reporters about the story.

“The vice president had many, many conversations with Iraqi leaders over the time period mentioned in that story. The president spoke with Prime Minister Maliki this summer,” Carney said aboard Air Force One as the president flew home to Washington from a West Coast trip.

Asked if he would release the dates or details of those talks, Carney said, “I don’t know.”

He also said that “there actually was” a White House comment of one of the calls to Iraq that was missed. “But the fact of the matter is we don’t read out every call we have, the president has or the vice president has with foreign leaders.”

"We stand by our reporting,” said James Asher, Washington Bureau chief for McClatchy. “We have repeatedly asked White House officials for details on Mr. Obama's and Mr. Biden's communications with the Iraqi government. So far, they have declined to provide them. We await a response."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Did Obama engage as U.S.-Iraqi troop talks faltered?

U.S. departure will leave Iraq on its own in a sea of conflict

Obama: All U.S. troops will leave Iraq by year's end. The war is over.

For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story