McClatchy DC Logo

FEMA administrator wants private insurers involved in flood insurance | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

FEMA administrator wants private insurers involved in flood insurance

Maria Recio - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 09, 2011 04:38 PM

As Congress races to beat a Sept. 30th deadline to reauthorize the national flood insurance program, FEMA administrator Craig Fugate told U.S. senators Thursday that he would like the private insurance industry to participate in the debt-ridden program, now $18 billion in the red.

Testifying before the U.S. Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee, Fugate said that under the program’s current federal structure “it is unlikely we can reduce the $18 billion debt.”

Fugate warned that the “high volumes” of risk from catastrophes like Hurricane Katrina saddle the federal government with the financial responsibility. “This risk should be better shared with the private sector,” he said, “rather than looking at strictly a government program.”

The FEMA chief, who administers the federal flood insurance program, said he envisioned the continuation of a federal share of the plan, especially for low income households, while making the system “more actuarially based.”

SIGN UP

“I’m not opposed to the private sector buying the least risky policies,” Fugate said.

“We have got to have the private sector more engaged in the program.”

Several lawmakers agreed with Fugate, notably Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., the ranking member.

Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., a member of the panel, testified, as well, Thursday, telling his colleagues that it was urgent that flood insurance be reauthorized by the deadline so as not to hurt the real estate market – homes in flood areas cannot close without flood insurance policies. Last year the program lapsed three times and had several short-term fixes before the Senate authorized a one-year extension.

“Another program lapse is entirely avoidable, and we should not allow that to happen,” said Wicker. He made a strong push for his legislation, the Consumer Option for an Alternative System to Allocate Losses, to use increased data collected by NOAA during the claims process, which he argued is part of the solution to the wind versus water dispute problem that has rocked the Coast since Katrina. Residents found insurers denying wind damage claims but eager to pay federal flood insurance claims from policies they administered.

Wicker, who held a roundtable with Coast residents last year on flood insurance, said, “There is no question that one of the most difficult obstacles in recovering from Hurricane Katrina – or preparing for the next storm – has been the cost and availability of insurance.”

Banking Committee Chairman Tim Johnson, D-S.D., said in his opening statement, “This program, which provides over $1.2 trillion in coverage, needs certainty. It is my hope to provide this through a long-term extension.”

The U.S. House Financial Services Committee approved a five year reauthorization bill. The U.S. House is expected to consider the bill shortly.

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story