McClatchy DC Logo

'Bottom kill' of BP's Gulf well now put off till after Labor Day | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

'Bottom kill' of BP's Gulf well now put off till after Labor Day

Mark Seibel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 19, 2010 12:41 PM

WASHINGTON — A relief well that government officials say will finally finish off BP's Deepwater Horizon well in the Gulf of Mexico won't be completed until after Labor Day, weeks later than officials had been predicting.

The delay is necessary in part because officials want to preserve the blowout preventer currently sitting atop the BP well as possible evidence in federal investigations into what caused the well to explode on April 20, retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said Thursday. That means the old blowout preventer will have to be removed and a new one set in place before engineers can complete the relief well. That process and associated tests will take at least three weeks, Allen said.

"We do not want to have damage to the blowout preventer," Allen said in explaining the delay. "We are concerned about preserving evidence."

Why the blowout preventer — a giant collection of valves designed to sever a deepwater well's drilling pipe in the event of an emergency — didn't work has been a key question for investigators. BP officials told Congress in May that diagrams they had of the blowout preventer were inaccurate and that they wasted days trying to activate its shearing mechanisms in vain. The blowout preventer is actually owned by Transocean, the rig operator from which BP had leased the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig. BP and Transocean have blamed one another for the blowut preventer's failure to seal the well.

SIGN UP

An order Allen issued to BP Thursday authorizing the replacement of the blowout preventer specified that "each precedure should recognize and preserve the forensic and evidentiary value of the BOP and any material removed from the BOP."

Allen has emphasized for weeks that the Obama administration will not consider the BP well dead until the relief well is completed and heavy drilling mud and cement have been pumped into the well's annulus, the space between the well's drill pipe and the wall of the wellbore.

Previously, Allen had said he believed crews would be ready to intercept the Deepwater Horizon well in mid August. The relief well was begun on May 2 and currently is about three and a half feet horizonally from the Deepwater Horizon wellbore and about 50 feet vertically from the point where engineers hope to make the intercept.

That operation, however, has become less urgent in the wake of two key events: the successful sealing of a containment cap above the blowout preventer July 15, which cut off the flow of crude oil into the Gulf, and the successful "static kill" of the well earlier in August, when heavy drilling mud poured into the well forced oil in the well back into the reservoir 18,000 feet below the sea's surface. That was followed with cement.

Officials have said repeatedly since then that there is no oil seeping out of the reservoir into the drill pipe or the annulus, and the Obama administration has gone so far as to declare that three-quarters of the oil that had escaped from the well has been dispersed or evaporated.

But Allen said Thursday that engineers still are uncertain why the well appears to be sealed and that some government scientists fear that a blockage between the reservoir and the well's annulus may be simply the result of a collapse of rock formations and not a permanent seal with cement.

Easing those fears by placing cement in the annulus via the relief well raised new risks of undoing the seals already in place, however, and Allen said the delay in completing the relief well will allow BP to undertake a series of steps to lessen that danger.

The first, Allen said, would be to remove any drilling mud and cement from the current blowout preventer and containment cap and replace it with much lighter seawater. That process has already begun, with BP reconnecting a drill ship on the surface to the containment cap to capture the drilling mud and crude oil.

Technicians will then monitor the well for 48 hours before undertaking what Allen called a "fishing experiment" to remove the well's drill pipe from the blowout preventer. That steps, Allen said, is necesssary to make certain that moving the blowout preventer doesn't damage the 5,000 feet of cement currently sealing the well.

Finally, a new blowout preventer will be brought in to replace the old one. Preparing the old blowout preventer for removal and testing the new one, in addition to the other steps, "takes you to after Labor Day," Allen said.

Allen said the new plan had been the subject of "intense negotiations" in recent days between BP officials and the Obama administration, including Secretary of Energy Steven Chu. Allen did not specify what the points of contention had been, however.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Transcript of Adm. Thad Allen's Aug. 19 briefing on BP's Gulf oil spill

August 25, 2010 02:37 PM

latest-news

Adm. Allen's order to remove and preserve the blowout preventer

August 19, 2010 03:55 PM

national

Georgia scientists dispute Obama claim that most oil is gone

August 17, 2010 07:58 PM

national

Mississippi fishermen call for resignation of Dept. of Marine Resources director

August 18, 2010 02:06 PM

national

Toxic oil levels found in key Gulf breeding zone, scientists say

August 17, 2010 08:31 PM

national

Mississippi attorney general disputes BP's rosy claims report

August 17, 2010 01:56 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story