McClatchy DC Logo

Obama taps ex-Clinton budget guru Lew to run his budget | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Obama taps ex-Clinton budget guru Lew to run his budget

Steven Thomma - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 13, 2010 04:53 PM

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama reached Tuesday for the nostalgia of long-gone Clinton-era budget surpluses to soothe debt-weary voters, choosing a Clinton budget veteran to run the White House budget office.

Obama nominated Jacob Lew as his new director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, returning Lew to the job he held under former President Bill Clinton from 1998 to 2001.

Lew's tenure as budget director coincided with the last time the U.S. government had a budget surplus, a fact that Obama stressed Tuesday in a message aimed at voters who've grown anxious about soaring budget deficits and debt under Obama's watch.

"If there was a hall of fame for budget directors, then Jack Lew surely would have earned a place for his service in that role under President Clinton, when he helped balance the federal budget after years of deficits," Obama said at the White House.

SIGN UP

"When Jack left that post at the end of the Clinton administration, he handed the next administration a record $236 billion budget surplus. The day I took office eight years later, America faced a record $1.3 trillion deficit."

The deficit has grown even more since he took office — to $1.41 trillion last year and $1.5 trillion this year, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Under Obama's proposed spending plan, the deficit would decline to $1.34 trillion next year. It would go down to $724 billion in fiscal 2014, then start rising again, topping $1 trillion a year by 2019.

Obama's asked a bipartisan commission to find ways to restrain those deficits. That panel hopes to make recommendations in December.

Lew, 55, also will play a major role in drafting the president's next budget proposal due in February, and in helping the commission and the president sell deficit-cutting recommendations to Congress. He replaces Peter Orszag, who resigned.

Lew has a deep resume:

  • He was a top policy adviser to former House Speaker Thomas P. O'Neill. D-Mass., on a bipartisan agreement to shore up Social Security in 1983;
  • He was deputy White House budget director when Clinton and a Republican Congress reached a bipartisan pact in 1997 to balance the budget;
  • He was budget director when the government ran surpluses 1998-2001.
  • Despite his track record and Obama's assurances, times were vastly different in the late 1990s.

    "He was budget director at a wonderful time for the budget," said Robert Bixby, director of the Concord Coalition, a budget watchdog group. "The Redskins brought back (ex-coach) Joe Gibbs, but it didn't mean they were gong to win the Super Bowl. Things change."

    Indeed, the economy is much different now.

    Then, a booming economy sent rising tax revenues to Washington. Now, slight improvements in the fiscal outlook — the current year deficit is $81 billion lower than last year's at the nine-month mark — don't change the fact that a deep recession sapped tax revenues while two wars and a recession prompted big increases in spending.

    The political environment also is far different.

    Then, after a nasty budget fight resulted in a shutdown of the government, a centrist Democratic White House agreed with a Republican Congress to rein in spending. Now, a liberal president is at odds with a Democratic Congress over spending, and Republicans oppose almost everything Obama proposes.

    "He did a great job at OMB last time," said Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.

    "But he'll have to grit his teeth and show some negotiating skills. He faces two parties that are not yet showing a willingness to embrace the kinds of policies that are necessary."

    MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

    Does world agreement to halve deficits fix things or worsen them?

    Deficit worries trump fears of new recession at G20 summit

    Obama heads to Canada, where more skeptical audience awaits

    For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

      Comments  

    Videos

    President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

    Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

    View More Video

    Trending Stories

    Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

    December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

    Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

    April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

    Businesses linked to McCaskill’s husband get $131 million in federal dollars

    July 24, 2018 05:00 AM

    Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

    June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

    Joel Pett’s 2018 editorial cartoons

    December 30, 2018 06:30 AM

    Read Next

    Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC
    Video media Created with Sketch.

    Midterms

    Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

    By Brian Murphy and

    Carli Brosseau

      ORDER REPRINT →

    December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

    Democrat Dan McCready’s campaign listed 48 witnesses for the state board of elections to subpoena for a scheduled Jan. 11 hearing into possible election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.

    KEEP READING

    MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

    Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

    Latest News

    Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

    December 29, 2018 02:46 PM
    ’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

    Congress

    ’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

    December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

    Courts & Crime

    Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

    December 28, 2018 03:00 AM
    Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

    Investigations

    Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

    December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
    Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

    Congress

    Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

    December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
    California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

    Elections

    California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

    December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
    Take Us With You

    Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

    Icon for mobile apps

    McClatchy Washington Bureau App

    View Newsletters

    Subscriptions
    • Newsletters
    Learn More
    • Customer Service
    • Securely Share News Tips
    • Contact Us
    Advertising
    • Advertise With Us
    Copyright
    Privacy Policy
    Terms of Service


    Back to Story