McClatchy DC Logo

Justice Department case against him dropped, Doolittle says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Justice Department case against him dropped, Doolittle says

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 11, 2010 04:48 PM

WASHINGTON — A Justice Department corruption investigation that helped drive John Doolittle from office has now been closed without charges being filed, the former Sacramento-area congressman said Friday.

"I'm thrilled," Doolittle said in an interview. "They've dragged this thing out for six and a half years."

Doolittle's relief, though, is tinged with bitterness at how he believes the Justice Department has mistreated him. He says he accumulated $600,000 in attorneys fees, some of which he was able to pay with campaign funds. The lingering investigation hindered his ability to find work. In the beginning, he said, it proved "very devastating" to his high school-aged daughter.

Even now, Doolittle said, neither he nor his attorney have been able to secure complete, written documentation from the Justice Department.

SIGN UP

"They have really hurt my family," Doolittle said, "and they have really hurt me."

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment Friday afternoon.

The now-closed Doolittle investigation was a byproduct of the scandal surrounding disgraced Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff, who entered federal prison four years ago. Abramoff pleaded guilty to multiple felony counts involving conspiracy, fraud and tax evasion relating to his work for Indian tribes.

Abramoff is now in a halfway house and is scheduled for release in December. Most of the other individuals charged in related cases have likewise finished their sentences.

Doolittle said he might never have learned of the development if he hadn't insisted that his attorney call the Justice Department shortly before the Memorial Day weekend. Doolittle said that though some people warned him against "waking the sleeping dog," he was anxious to find out the status of his case so he could help his employment prospects.

A consultant since leaving Congress in January 2009, Doolittle said Friday that he's been "in between jobs" for the past month and a half.

Doolittle said a Justice Department official called his attorney, Tom Mason, back last week.

"He said they have declined to take the case, and the case was closed," Doolittle said.

Doolittle added that he believes the phone call means no case will be brought against his wife, Julie, as well, though he said he's been frustrated in efforts to find out for sure.

An 18-year veteran of the House of Representatives, who previously served in the state Senate, Doolittle announced his retirement in January 2008. At the time, he was under considerable political pressure because of the unfolding Abramoff controversy. Abramoff was a contributor to Doolittle's campaigns and an employer of some close to the congressman.

In April 2007, the FBI raided his northern Virginia house. Doolittle said the investigators sought records associated with a business run by his wife.

"The Justice Department was leaking stuff to the press all the time," Doolittle said.

Doolittle's former legislative director, Kevin Ring, was ultimately implicated and is scheduled for a retrial next month.

Ring went to work as a lobbyist for Abramoff after he left Doolittle's staff. The original charges against Ring, issued last year, identified Doolittle and his wife as unindicted co-conspirators.

Prosecutors presented evidence including e-mails detailing how Abramoff's firm provided Washington Redskins and U2 rock band tickets for Doolittle's staff members, all while seeking legislative help. Prosecutors say that Abramoff also arranged for Julie Doolittle to be paid $5,000 a month for event planning work.

"Congressman Doolittle and his staff helped out again and again and again on lots of projects," federal prosecutor Nathaniel Edmonds told a jury last fall, the trial transcript shows. "Not for projects just in his district, not in California, but for Ring's clients thousands of miles away."

Ring's attorney, Andrew Todd Wise, retorted that Ring was merely a good lobbyist, who while on Doolittle's staff had been part of a "close-knit group of mainly late-twenties, early-thirties folks, that developed friendships that lasted after they left."

Ring's initial trial resulted in a hung jury.

"They had made up their minds that they were going to get me," Doolittle said Friday, "but there was no evidence against me."

  Comments  

Videos

Trump says he could use executive power on border wall

A historic day for women as 116th Congress is sworn in

View More Video

Trending Stories

Did CIA Director Gina Haspel run a black site at Guantánamo?

January 08, 2019 09:55 AM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

White House is about to see the shutdown’s impact — thanks to California trash

January 08, 2019 02:48 PM

How Donald Trump is changing the Democratic Party

January 08, 2019 09:33 AM

War Within Initiative raises money to help erase military medical debt

January 07, 2019 04:10 PM

Read Next

White House is about to see the shutdown’s impact — thanks to California trash

White House

White House is about to see the shutdown’s impact — thanks to California trash

By Kate Irby

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 08, 2019 02:48 PM

Two California members of Congress are delivering trash from across the country to the White House Tuesday to protest the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Rick Scott joins a Congress that can’t clean up after itself

Congress

Rick Scott joins a Congress that can’t clean up after itself

January 08, 2019 01:26 PM
Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

Congress

Racist? Immoral? The shutdown fight becomes a rhetorical war

January 07, 2019 05:21 PM

Congress

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM
Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story