McClatchy DC Logo

Gulf oil rig victims express anger over losses | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Gulf oil rig victims express anger over losses

Lauren French - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 27, 2010 06:48 PM

WASHINGTON — Keith Jones began his testimony strong Thursday before the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee. When the topic turned quickly toward his son, however, Jones' voice cracked, his demeanor broke and he took a moment to collect himself.

Jones' son, Gordon Jones, died aboard the Deepwater Horizon oil rig on April 20. Gordon was 24, a father and a husband.

"Gordon was good at everything he did. Everybody likes Gordon," Jones said. "People who met him liked him, and the more they got to know him, the more they liked him."

Jones was in Washington to testify alongside survivors of the Deepwater Horizon blast as the Judiciary Committee discussed liability issues from the explosion and subsequent oil spill. Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., called the accident "the worst spill in U.S. history."

SIGN UP

Jones, a trial lawyer from Baton Rouge, La., urged Congress to impose punitive damages on the companies that are responsible for the disaster and the subsequent environmental catastrophe.

"The loss of Gordon's income is the last thing Michelle grieves for," Jones said of his son's widow. "Please believe me, no amount of money will ever compensate us for Gordon's loss. We know that. But payment of damages by wrongdoers is the only means we have in this country to make things right."

"You must make sure they can feel it in their bank account," he said.

His voice breaking, Jones struggled to talk about his two grandsons, one just 2 weeks old, who'll never really know their father. When Michelle Gordon gave birth earlier this month, her husband's presence in the delivery room was limited to a family photo, Jones said.

A survivor of the explosion, Stephen Stone, challenged the committee to punish his employer, Transocean Ltd., for "gambling with their employees' lives."

Transocean, Stone said, asked him to sign a waiver — without his attorney present — saying that he wasn't injured in the explosion. The meeting, he said, happened in a Denny's restaurant less than two weeks after the rig sank into the Gulf of Mexico.

"You can't allow BP and Transocean to continue doing business this way," Stone said. "When these companies put their savings over safety, they gamble with our lives. They gambled with my life. They gambled with the lives of 11 of my crew members."

He refused to sign the document, he said.

Rachel Clingman, Transocean's acting general counsel, testified that the meeting was to give Stone $5,000 as compensation for possessions lost during the blast.

During the hearing, lawyers for Transocean, Halliburton Inc. and Cameron International Corp. — the company that supplied the blowout preventers for the rig, which failed to activate — shuffled blame to BP.

Representatives of BP and Transocean said that paying claims was a top priority. BP already has paid out some $37 million in claims, said Darryl Willis, the vice president for resources for BP America, who's handling claims against the company.

"We are going to pay all legitimate claims," Willis said. "We realize that we're going to be judged by our response to this spill, and we're going to pay for all damage to people, to governments, to the community."

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., grilled Willis on what would be considered "legitimate claims," and asked whether a legitimate claim would include those made by people affected by dispersants.

On numerous occasions, Willis didn't give a direct answer, only reiterating BP's line that it will "follow the law," and pay "all legitimate claims."

Before the witnesses gave their opening statements, committee members spoke about the proposed halt on drilling offshore of Virginia and Alaska, which President Barack Obama had announced earlier Thursday, and of raising the liability cap imposed on oil companies.

"I wonder why there should be a cap at all," said Rep. Bill Delahunt, D-Mass. "I think that's the question we should pose to ourselves."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Experts: Legal issues driving BP's oil spill stance

Low estimate of oil spill's size could save BP millions in court

Since spill, feds have given 27 waivers to oil companies in gulf

BP withholds oil spill facts — and government lets it

Check out McClatchy's politics blog: Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story