McClatchy DC Logo

Congress demands Fort Hood shooting documents | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Congress demands Fort Hood shooting documents

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 19, 2010 08:04 PM

WASHINGTON — Congress and the Obama administration on Monday headed toward a showdown over access to information about how an Army major with known contacts to Islamic extremists was able to carry out a deadly shooting spree at a Texas military base last fall.

Saying the Pentagon and Justice Department had failed to cooperate in Congress' efforts to understand what took place, the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs issued subpoenas to Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Attorney General Eric Holder, demanding documents about Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the disgruntled Army psychiatrist charged with killing 13 people and injuring another 32 during a Nov. 5 shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas.

Among the documents the committee is seeking: any that show what the Joint Terrorist Task Force in San Diego and the National Terrorism Task Force in Washington knew about Hasan's e-mail exchanges with Anwar al Awlaki, a Yemen-based, U.S.-born imam with links to three of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., the committee's chairman, said the panel wants to determine how Hasan could communicate with Awlaki, speak regularly to colleagues and patients about his doubts that American Muslims should take part in military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and be the subject of persistent concern among his supervisors and still not be investigated by the military or FBI. Instead, he was sent from Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington to Fort Hood to counsel soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

SIGN UP

"There were repeated signals being sent off by Major Hasan that he was a potential danger," Lieberman said in a conference call with reporters. "We want specific information on what those signals were and why was nothing done about them."

Earlier this month, President Barack Obama authorized U.S. forces to kill Awlaki, a U.S. citizen.

In addition to documents about Hasan's contacts with Awlaki, the subpoena also seeks Hasan's personnel file; any documents that would show what defense intelligence agencies and military criminal units knew about Hasan prior to the shooting, and "all transcripts, reports or summaries of prosecutorial interviews of witnesses that were provided to the staff" of an independent Defense Department review headed by former Army Secretary Togo D. West Jr., and retired Adm. Vern Clark, a former chief of naval operations.

The Senate committee also wants copies of an otherwise unexplained secret document that was given to West and Clark on Jan. 15.

The subpoena gives Gates and Holder until next Monday to provide the documents.

"We expect some cooperation from the executive branch to carry out our responsibility," Lieberman told reporters.

It's unlikely the Obama administration will comply, however. Senior Pentagon legal officials said that releasing too much information could taint the jury pool and jeopardize Hasan's military trial.

"We consider a release to Congress, analytically, to be a release to the public," one senior legal official said. "The military investigation trumps" the congressional one, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the investigation.

The Pentagon officials said the Defense Department already had given hundreds of documents and video to the committee, but in their letter, Lieberman and Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said that most of that information was either publicly available or didn't provide the information they sought.

The letter rejected the administration's concerns about Hasan's upcoming court martial and said the unwillingness to surrender documents smacked of a cover-up.

"Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to avoid reaching the conclusion that the departments simply do not want to cooperate with our investigation," the letter said.

Last week, the Pentagon released a summary of what actions Gates has authorized as a result of the West/Clark investigation. The investigation itself hasn't been released.

The summary said the investigation had concluded that at the time of the Fort Hood shootings, the Pentagon had no way to track reports of suspicious activity by service members. A previous system was terminated in 2007, the summary said, and a pilot program to find a new tracking system had been completed only in July 2009. That system, however, will now be implemented throughout the military, with a plan for doing so due by June 30, the summary said.

It also said that the investigation had found that the Pentagon's cybersecurity policies didn't require that information uncovered in routine counterintelligence work — such as monitoring Defense Department e-mails — be passed to the military's "investigative organizations."

The summary also said that the investigation had determined that Pentagon policies didn't cover activities such as Hasan's that unnerved his colleagues but didn't include outright membership in an extremist organization, which would have been prohibited.

Hasan, who was paralyzed when Fort Hood police officers returned fire, is being held at the Belton County Jail in Texas. A court martial date hasn't been set.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Fort Hood shooting probe slams Pentagon policies

U.S. move against radical cleric could provoke backlash in Yemen

Is imam a terror recruiter or just an incendiary preacher?

Army finds no evidence of poisoning plot at Fort Jackson

Follow national security developments at McClatchy's Nukes & Spooks blog

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Fort Hood shooting probe slams Pentagon policies

April 15, 2010 07:43 PM

politics-government

Within hours, Obama ordered intelligence review of Fort Hood shootings

November 12, 2009 06:54 PM

crime

Trial of Fort Hood shooting suspect could be lengthy affair

November 12, 2009 07:32 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read more Fort Hood coverage from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

November 11, 2009 07:56 AM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM

Russian officials keep hanging out at U.S. jails. What do they want?

September 19, 2018 12:45 PM

Read Next

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

Latest News

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Republicans are bracing for an onslaught of congressional investigations in 2019. But they also see glimmers of hope

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

Midterms

Democrat calls for 48 witnesses at state board hearing into election fraud in NC

December 30, 2018 07:09 PM
Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM
’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

Congress

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM
Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story