McClatchy DC Logo

Judge raps government over ex-DEA agent's legal odyssey | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Judge raps government over ex-DEA agent's legal odyssey

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 30, 2010 05:44 PM

WASHINGTON — An unhappy federal judge on Tuesday approved a $3 million settlement with a former narcotics officer who said the CIA spied on him overseas.

The approved settlement caps a 16-year fight for former Drug Enforcement Administration agent Richard A. Horn and California attorney Brian Leighton. It also leaves the judge grumbling over how the government handled the long-secret case.

"It does not appear that any government officials have been held accountable for this loss to the taxpayer," U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth wrote. "This is troubling."

Driving his point home, Lamberth further noted that "there is disturbing evidence in a sealed motion that misconduct occurred in the Inspector General offices at both the State Department and the Central Intelligence Agency."

SIGN UP

After noting that the case "has already consumed too much time and too many resources for everyone concerned," however, Lamberth agreed to drop potential disciplinary proceedings against CIA officials. He'll formally do so once he's been assured that the allegations have been referred to congressional intelligence committees and the inspector general offices.

A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment on the case or what referrals might be made next.

"The check is supposed to be in the mail pretty quick," Leighton said Tuesday, while adding that "we have mixed emotions."

Leighton acknowledged that he and Horn are relieved that the case is now done. At the same time, he said, "people ought to be penalized for defrauding the court," which is what he and Lamberth both say happened in this case.

A one-time investigator in California's San Joaquin Valley, where he first got to know former prosecutor Leighton, Horn was later assigned to the DEA's office in Burma, now called Myanmar. While there, he says he clashed with State Department and CIA officials who wanted to downplay Burma's cooperation in the anti-narcotics campaign.

Forced from his position, Horn charged that his telephone calls to Leighton and others were illegally tapped. When he sued in 1994, the Justice Department made sure the lawsuit was sealed.

The lawsuit stayed sealed until last year, shortly before the Justice Department agreed to a $3 million settlement.

"While the government makes no admission of wrongdoing in the settlement, the court is persuaded that the government must have found them credible," Lamberth noted Tuesday.

When the case became public last year, Lamberth said that the CIA's attorneys had engaged in a "fraud on the court" by failing to update him on the undercover status of a key witness. Lamberth said that an unclassified declaration by CIA Director Leon Panetta "appears to significantly conflict" with a classified declaration.

Conclusions were also inappropriately manipulated in the original inspector general investigations into Horn's allegations, Leighton added. This is the alleged misconduct that Lamberth said was cited in sealed court motions.

Lamberth said then that the government's "misconduct" in misleading him was an abuse of the state secrets privilege, which has been used to keep embarrassing as well as sensitive information out of the spotlight. He sought disciplinary proceedings, which the Justice Department argued could prove dangerous.

"(Ending the proceedings) and the resulting protection of such classified and privileged information from unauthorized disclosure is also manifestly in the public interest," Justice Department attorney Alexander K. Haas argued in a legal brief.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

After 15 years, ex-DEA agent wins settlement from U.S.

Judge rules that he, too, can grant access to U.S. secrets

'Bulldog' lawyer gets break in 15-year court battle with CIA

Fresno-area lawyer not shy about taking on the CIA

Judge accuses CIA officials of fraud, unseals secret files

Follow the latest legal affairs news at McClatchy's Suits & Sentences

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story