McClatchy DC Logo

In Georgia, candidates are a ticket — and a couple | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

In Georgia, candidates are a ticket — and a couple

Travis Fain - Macon Telegraph

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 26, 2010 10:35 PM

ATLANTA — Carol Porter, wife of state Rep. DuBose Porter and a political presence in her own right, announced her run for lieutenant governor Thursday.

That sets up a husband-and-wife political ticket at the top of Georgia ballots later this year. DuBose Porter, D-Dublin, began his gubernatorial campaign last year.

"I know you all know me as DuBose Porter's wife," Carol Porter told a throng of reporters Thursday morning at the state Capitol. "I am definitely qualified to do this job. I've been here watching it for 27 years."

Carol Porter is running statewide to seek her first elected office. She's the only Democrat in the race so far, with the formal deadline to qualify coming in April. If no other candidates enter the race, she would face Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle, who became the state's first Republican lieutenant governor in 2006 as the GOP completed its takeover of elected state government.

SIGN UP

Carol Porter went after the Republican majority Thursday, saying the state might not have so many budget problems today "if we had had people paying attention." She said Cagle's agenda is out of sync with Georgians, and she criticized him for presiding over the Senate last year as the homeowner's tax relief grant, which had given homeowners a property tax cut, was phased out to save the state money.

Cagle's campaign manager responded to Porter's candidacy in an e-mailed statement, calling Cagle "a steady hand and a principled leader."

"We anticipate a spirited contest and a thoughtful discussion of the issues," Cagle campaign manager Ryan Cassin said.

Carol Porter said she would focus on one of her husband's top issues during the campaign: forcing the state to do a better job of collecting sales tax revenue. She called it "insane" to furlough teachers when there's owed tax money on the table.

Both Porters have pushed this point as a massive missed opportunity for the state, saying it could collect an extra $1 billion in unpaid sales taxes with better enforcement. But the Georgia Department of Revenue and others have said repeatedly that number is far overstated, and a study of the issue is ongoing.

Carol Porter also called for a shift in spending within the lottery-funded HOPE scholarship program. She said college scholarships should remain a priority, but the state also should return to its previous policy of spending some of the money on early education. That could include technology in schools, job training and graduation coaches for younger students, she said.

Carol Porter, who manages the family chain of newspapers based in Dublin, said she wants to help enlarge the Democratic Party's tent in this election.

She said she plans to appeal to people who are "fed up with Georgia politics" and that she favors more funding for education.

She also acknowledged that her run for statewide office "was not a thought two weeks ago."

Read more of this story at Macon.com

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story