McClatchy DC Logo

Republicans ask Obama to halt releases from Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Republicans ask Obama to halt releases from Guantanamo

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 30, 2009 07:14 PM

Republican leaders on Wednesday, seizing on the claim that ex-Guantanamo detainees were linked to the foiled Christmas Day terror attack, called on the White House to stop sending captives home to Yemen from the detention center in southeast Cuba.

"The terrorist plot to bring down Northwest Airlines Flight 253 exposed a near-catastrophic failure at every level of our government,'' said House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio.

"We know the decision to close this prison has not stopped al Qaeda from plotting attacks on Americans, turning these terrorists over to other countries is not working, and we shouldn't import them into the United States,'' he added. "It's time for the president to halt terrorist transfers to other countries, including Yemen, and to reevaluate his decision to close the prison at Guantanamo.''

Boehner's remarks came on the heels of a written appeal to President Barack Obama from three leading leading senators -- John McCain, R-Ariz., Lindsay Graham, R-S.C. and Joe Lieberman, I-Conn. -- to suspend any planned releases of Guantanamo detainees to Yemen.

SIGN UP

The White House had no response beyond a day-old broad defense of its overall Guantanamo strategy. But the military said Wednesday that it was continuing to prepare for future transfers.

"We've received no orders, no change in mission,'' said Navy Cmdr. Brook DeWalt from Guantánamo. ``If and when we do, we will certainly act accordingly. But today there has been no change to the mission at Joint Task Force Guantánamo.''

The Bush administration transferred more than 500 detainees from Guantanamo, in contrast to 44 during Obama's first year.

Across the years, the transfers were done as secret operations with disclosure made once the captives were released to another government and the U.S. military aircraft and forces gone from the drop-off nation.

The administration last released a dozen detainees on Dec. 18 -- six to Yemen, four to Afghanistan, and two to Somaliland -- to shrink the prison camps census to 198 men from 28 countries.

White House officials have been defending the Obama administration's review-and-release policies since ABC News reported that two Saudis sent home in 2007 may have helped Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab hatch the plot to blow up the aircraft with explosives hidden in his underpants.

It was clear Wednesday that the process had left the senators confused.

The senators' two-page letter, dated Tuesday, asked the White House to stop the transfer of the six Yemenis who'd been sent home Dec. 18.

Under current law, the State Department must file classified notices with Congress 15 days before a transfer takes place, explaining where each captive would be going and stating that an assessment of the risk involved in releasing him had been undertake. Those required notices had been filed in early December.

McCain's spokeswoman Brooke Buchanan said Wednesday that while the six transfers had already gone through, and intelligence committees were notified, "the simple intent of the letter was to express concern about current and future detainees being transfer to Yemen.''

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who chairs the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, likewise issued a statement urging the suspension of releases of from Guantánamo to Yemen "at this time.''

"It is too unstable,'' she said.

Feinstein still supports the closure of Guantánamo and the idea of setting up an alternative site in Illinois, said aide Gil Duran, adding that her request for a freeze on Guantanamo-Yemen releases "was not retroactive.''

In contrast, the top Republican on Feinstein's committee, Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo., was quoted Wednesday as urging the president to impose a moratorium on releases and to scrap plans to close the detention center at Guantanamo.

"The president ought to rethink it now,'' Bond told The Hill newspaper. "The question is, Are we going to take every step possible to keep our country safe? That means stop releasing Gitmo detainees now.''

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Likely casualty of air plot: Obama's Guantanamo plans

December 29, 2009 07:42 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story