McClatchy DC Logo

Burr blocks U.S. attorney pick over Easley, Edwards probes | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Burr blocks U.S. attorney pick over Easley, Edwards probes

Barbara Barrett - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 11, 2009 02:48 PM

WASHINGTON — Sen. Richard Burr said Thursday that he will delay the confirmation of Charlotte lawyer Thomas G. Walker as U.S. attorney for Eastern North Carolina until investigations into two of the state's most prominent Democrats are completed.

Burr, a Winston-Salem Republican, wants U.S. Attorney George Holding to finish his inquiries into former Gov. Mike Easley and former Sen. John Edwards, a two-time presidential candidate. Holding was appointed by President George W. Bush.

Burr notified President Barack Obama of his decision through the White House counsel's office. Obama nominated Walker last week.

Burr's decision was a quick turnaround. A spokesman said last week that Burr would not block Walker's nomination as it moved through the Senate. North Carolina Republicans rallied to call Burr's Senate officeover the past week to demand he block Walker.

SIGN UP

Sen. Kay Hagan, a Democrat, has also said Holding should be allowed to continue his investigations and has made her case to Obama administration officials. She has not said whether she will exercise her right to hold up Walker's nomination.

In a statement Thursday, Hagan spokeswoman Stephanie Allen reiterated Hagan's view that Holding should finish his investigations.

Burr and Hagan both say they support Walker and recommended him for the post to Obama. But Burr said in a statement Thursday that Walker should not start work yet, in part because he contributed to Easley's campaign.

"It is clear, though, that political contributions made by Mr. Walker to the former North Carolina elected officials currently under investigation represent a conflict of interest, and would potentially require his recusal from those very investigations," Burr said.

Burr said he told Obama his opinions on Walker and the investigation in a letter in July. His office refused Thursday to release the letter.

Burr said delaying the confirmation would ensure that the investigations and any potential prosecutions would be impartial, inspire public confidence in the process and protect Walker from the taint of a potential conflict.

"Upon conclusion of those investigations by Mr. Holding, I will sign Mr. Walker's blue slip," Burr said.

The blue slip is, by tradition, a form that home-state senators return to the Senate Judiciary Committee with their thoughts on judicial and U.S. attorney nominees. A senator could delay or block a nominee's confirmation by withholding the blue slip.

By policy, the Senate Judiciary Committee will not schedule a U.S. attorney nominee until the blue slips from home-state senators have been returned, a spokeswoman said Thursday. There is no time limit on holding up a nominee.

'As long as it takes'

"It could take a long time. It needs to take as long as it takes," said Tom Fetzer, chairman of the state Republican Party. Fetzer said that Holding appears to be "the only guy who's doing anything" about cleaning up corruption in North Carolina and that he endorsed Burr's move.

"I don't think Richard's decision today was a reaction to any external pressure," Fetzer said.

"I think he just decided this was the right thing to do."

Gary Pearce, a Democratic consultant, said Burr's move appears calculated as he prepares to run for re-election next year.

"It means he thinks he can hurt Democrats in North Carolina by doing it," Pearce said. "I suspect it has more to do with politics than justice."

Pearce added that Hagan has appeared uncertain on the issue. "I think she kind of flopped around on it too," he said. "She wanted to have it both ways."

Efforts to reach Holding on Thursday were unsuccessful.

Walker was the first nominee out of the gate for North Carolina's three federal districts, and as such it raised eyebrows among some observers. But Democrats have grumbled since spring about how soon Obama would replace U.S. attorneys.

"The president is entitled to have his own person as U.S. attorney, and now he has nominated one, and Burr makes it difficult," said Carl Tobias, a University of Richmond law professor who follows judicial matters.

"A lot of Democrats are upset that Bush folks are still around. That's a legitimate gripe. It's a big piece of patronage."

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Courts & Crime

Trump will have to nominate 9th Circuit judges all over again in 2019

By Emily Cadei

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 28, 2018 03:00 AM

President Trump’s three picks to fill 9th Circuit Court vacancies in California didn’t get confirmed in 2018, which means he will have to renominate them next year.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM
Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story