McClatchy DC Logo

Wife of ex-N.C. Gov. Easley urged to resign university post | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Wife of ex-N.C. Gov. Easley urged to resign university post

J. Andrew Curliss - The (Raleigh) News & Observer

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 19, 2009 07:13 AM

Leaders in the state's university system moved publicly Monday to force the resignation of Mary Easley, the former first lady criticized over a $170,000-per-year position she holds at N.C. State University.

The chairwoman of the UNC Board of Governors, the president of the UNC system and the chancellor at N.C. State University all said Easley should give up her job.

They all gave the same reason: for the good of N.C. State.

"It would be in the best interest of the university if she were to resign," Chancellor James Oblinger said. He said he has had a conversation with her.

SIGN UP

Easley could not be reached for comment. Oblinger would not comment further, citing personnel laws.

Controversy has erupted amid disclosures over the past 10 days in The News & Observer about the creation of the position for Easley in 2005. She was hired to direct a speakers series at $80,000 per year. Last summer, she accepted a five-year contract worth $850,000. The raise came with an expanded role to include the formation of a public safety leadership center.

Easley has defended her job, saying she was uniquely qualified for it. She has refused numerous interview requests from The N&O in recent months.

Reporting has shown that Easley was first hired in May 2005 by Larry Nielsen, then the interim NCSU provost about to be replaced. N.C. State was conducting public interviews with four other candidates for the provost's job when Nielsen received a résumé from Easley, created a position in the provost's office, waived a job search and hired her.

For months, officials have said Nielsen acted alone. But university trustee McQueen Campbell, a longtime friend of Easley and former Gov. Mike Easley, told UNC system President Erskine Bowles last week that he played a role in the hiring.

Campbell, a real-estate broker, businessman and private pilot, flew the governor often while Mike Easley was a candidate and at other times. Campbell also got help from the Easley administration about the time the first lady's job was created.

To read the complete article, visit www.newsobserver.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Ex-Gov. Easley 'comfortable' with FBI probe

May 18, 2009 07:30 AM

politics-government

FBI supoenas former N.C Gov. Easley's travel records

May 15, 2009 01:29 PM

politics-government

Nielsen resigns as N.C. State provost over Easley controversy

May 14, 2009 02:39 PM

politics-government

Former N.C. Gov Easley kept flights secret

May 09, 2009 02:45 PM

HOMEPAGE

The (Raleigh) News & Observer's 'Under the Dome'

May 18, 2009 08:05 AM

HOMEPAGE

The News & Observer's 'Executive Privilege' series on former Gov. Mike Easley

May 14, 2009 02:48 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story