McClatchy DC Logo

S.C. Supreme Court won't hear student's stimulus suit | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

S.C. Supreme Court won't hear student's stimulus suit

John O'Connor - The State

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 23, 2009 07:36 AM

South Carolina's highest court has decided not to hear a case asking the court to decide who – Gov. Mark Sanford or the Legislature – controls a disputed $700 million in federal stimulus money.

But the attorneys who filed the case said it leaves open the possibility the court could decide the issue later.

Until lawmakers vote to spend the money, the court wrote in a unanimous 5-0 decision, the court did not want to rule on a "hypothetical or abstract dispute."

"We find this action is not ripe and appropriate for judicial determination unless or until the General Assembly has taken, as it is authorized to do, measures to appropriate the funds at issue," the court wrote. "Until that time, there is no real and substantial controversy upon which this Court can render a declaratory judgment."

SIGN UP

The Senate on Wednesday began floor debate of its $5.7 billion spending plan. Lawmakers, state agencies and school districts have said not including the money in the budget that begins July 1 will result in layoffs and reductions in services. The House included the money in its budget approved last month.

Sanford has said he will not accept the money unless the state pays off debt equivalent to the $700 million in federal aid.

Attorneys for Casey Edwards, the 18-year-old Chapin High School senior who filed the case, said the court's decision left open the possibility of a future suit after the Legislature votes to spend the $350 million – the share of federal money for the next budget year.

To read the complete article, visit www.thestate.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

economy

S.C. teen files lawsuit over Sanford's stimulus standoff

April 17, 2009 07:30 AM

politics-government

Clyburn urges S.C. lawmakers to take Sanford to court

April 09, 2009 02:14 PM

politics-government

S.C. Gov. Sanford: 'I'm doing what I think to be right'

April 05, 2009 08:41 AM

economy

Sanford gives in on stimulus, will seek funds for S.C.

April 02, 2009 09:47 PM

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story