McClatchy DC Logo

Chandra Levy case revived in the popular media | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Chandra Levy case revived in the popular media

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 24, 2009 05:43 PM

WASHINGTON — An apparent break in solving Chandra Levy's murder has revived a mass media golden oldie with some new touches.

Once more, satellite trucks are stacked outside Washington, D.C. police headquarters. Cable television shows are turning to the case. Reporters and producers are besieging Levy's parents by phone, and national papers are sending journalists to the Levy's home town of Modesto.In short, the story is unfolding much as it did when Chandra disappeared back in 2001.

"When this broke, it was like it was before," public relations specialist Judy Smith, who is advising Levy's parents, said Tuesday. "It was like no time had passed."

For now, the mini-frenzy is building in anticipation of a case-breaking announcement in Washington, D.C. On Friday night, Police Chief Cathy Lanier advised the Levys that investigators would soon seek an arrest warrant for the man suspected of killing their daughter. Lanier did not name the suspect.

SIGN UP

Lanier's heads-up, delivered about 10 p.m. East Coast time, was itself a reflection of the ongoing media role in the nearly eight-year-old case.

Police officials had learned television reporter Pat Collins, with Washington's WRC-TV, was going to be breaking the story about the pending arrest warrant on the station's 11 p.m. newscast. By calling, Lanier could ensure the family first learned the news directly from a top police official - one already known to the Levys.

"I like her," Susan Levy said of Lanier, who she had met earlier in Washington.

A D.C. Superior Court judge had not yet issued the arrest warrant as of Tuesday night. Typically, investigators will present prosecutors with a draft warrant along with accompanying evidence showing probable cause. Prosecutors then refine the document before presenting it to a judge.

Smith knew what was coming the minute she heard the news about the pending arrest warrant. Now president of the Washington-based firm Impact Strategies, Smith in 2001 and 2002 had handled press relations for Levy and the family's then-lawyer, Billy Martin. She said she called the family over the weekend to offer help with the inevitable media crush.

"When you go through the stuff we went through, there's always going to be a connection," Smith said.

Smith estimated she filtered upwards of 50 media calls on the Levy's behalf over the weekend, and "30 or 40" on Monday. Geraldo Rivera of Fox News landed the parents for an evening piece, not long after CNN aired an interview with Susan Levy. Fox's Greta Van Sustern devoted an extended segment to the Levy case, interviewing Chandra's brother Adam. Brad Garrett, the former lead FBI investigator on the case, showed up on another network.

"Now that there seems to be a development of consequence, and of good news, it would make sense that we would have a spike in interest," said Mike Lynch, who served as chief of staff to former congressman Gary Condit.

Condit himself has hinted that, in due course, he will have more to say in public. Revelations about his relationship with Levy, criticism over how he handled police and public questions and some raw tabloid speculation all contributed to his 2002 defeat in a House primary election. Condit, in turn, believes the press diverted investigators with its "insatiable sensationalism."

Condit's apparent willingness to talk now reflects one of the big differences between 2009 and 2001. Following Levy's disappearance on or about May 1, 2001, Condit ducked public questions until he gave a widely panned interview three-and-a-half months later with ABC's Connie Chung.

The broader media environment has also changed. On Monday, for instance, Susan Levy published an essay about her daughter in The Daily Beast. Although Levy's message was a familiar one, the online periodical published by the former editor of The New Yorker magazine did not exist in 2001.

"We've had to come to terms with Chandra's relationship with Condit and realize that it played a major role in the coverage of the case," Levy wrote.

Blogs, more generally, were still outside the mainstream media when the Levy mystery began in 2001. Now, blogs abound and unique outlets with names like Lisa Leibow's Fodder for Fiction, Scared Monkeys and Muckety have all been weighing in after their own fashion. MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Arrest imminent in slaying, Chandra Levy's parents told

Baskin-Robbins found it hard to get scoop on Gary Condit

Chandra Levy series proves who did it not only controversy

  Comments  

Videos

Trump says he could use executive power on border wall

A historic day for women as 116th Congress is sworn in

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Trump administration wants huge limits on food stamps — even though Congress said ‘no’

December 20, 2018 05:00 AM

Jerry Moran to push for speedy final vote on ending U.S. role in Yemen

December 11, 2018 01:21 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM
Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM
HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story