McClatchy DC Logo

N.C. voters deny Dole, elect Hagan to U.S. Senate | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

N.C. voters deny Dole, elect Hagan to U.S. Senate

Barbara Barrett - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 05, 2008 06:49 AM

GREENSBORO — Incumbent U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Dole lost her re-election bid Tuesday night to state Sen. Kay Hagan, done in by a combination of Hagan's tireless campaigning, millions of dollars from national Democrats and Barack Obama's strong emphasis on North Carolina.

It was an upset virtually unthinkable just a year ago, when Democrats scrambled to find a challenger to take on the well-financed and well-known Dole.

Hagan, a Greensboro Democrat, successfully tied Dole to President Bush, whose popularity has plummeted in the six years since Dole was hand-picked by the White House to run for the Senate. Dole was never able to overcome both her voting record and an infusion of millions of dollars from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

With 50 of 100 counties reporting, Hagan led Dole by 52.3 to 44.6 percent. Libertarian Christopher Cole had 3.1 percent.

SIGN UP

Dole entered Salisbury's historic train depot late Tuesday night with her husband, Bob, as 200 supporters stood and cheered. She acknowledged a hard-fought campaign in which, she said, tens of millions of dollars poured into the state to fight her re-election.

“I'm not happy with the tone that this campaign has acquired,” she said, referring to a barrage of negative advertising from both sides, “but I will say that I will never regret fighting as hard as I could for the privilege of continuing to serve you.”

In Greensboro, several hundred Hagan supporters erupted into cheers when a network called the election for Hagan.

“I thought it would be a lot closer,” said Tony Hunt of Raeford. “I think some of the last advertising by Sen. Dole really hurt her. It changed some undecided voters.”

For many voters, the messages against Dole resonated. Exit polls showed Hagan did well among blacks, women and young voters; Dole did better among older voters, the Associated Press said.

“I was not happy with her,” said Janice Henderson, 67, of Raleigh. “I don't think we got our money's worth out of her.”

In the past few months, as Dole saw her lead slip in the polls and the economy faltered, national pundits moved the race from “leaning Republican” to “toss-up.”

Meanwhile, Hagan blanketed the state with campaign stops. She was helped by ads from the national Democrats, most notably its “Rocking Chairs” ad showing two elderly men arguing whether Dole is “92 or 93.” They were talking about her effectiveness ranking and her voting percentage with Bush. But the swipe at Dole's age – she is 72 – was hardly veiled.

Last week, the race took another nasty turn. Dole aired a TV ad that accused Hagan of taking “godless money” at a Boston fundraiser and linking her to an atheist group called the Godless Americans political action committee. The ad ended with a picture of Hagan and a woman's voiceover saying, “There is no God.”

Hagan, who is an elder in her Presbyterian church and a former Sunday school teacher, responded with a lawsuit and her own ad, declaring, “I believe in God.”

Dole's ad was widely panned, and some voters were turned off, too.

“The nail in the coffin was the Godless Americans thing,” said Andre Wilson, 23, of Durham, who supported Hagan. He researched both candidates but was really put off by Dole's ad.

But at Dole's rally late Tuesday, supporter Blake Jarman, 24, said Dole should have responded more aggressively to Hagan's attacks earlier in the campaign.

He also defended the controversial ad about Hagan's “godless money.”

“American needs to know what their candidate stands for and where they get their money from,” Jarman said.

Dole said she was proud of her accomplishments and it has “been the highest honor in my life to be elected the first female U.S. senator in North Carolina history.”

She recapped her career achievements, including jobs in the White House and as secretary of labor and transportation, and leading the American Red Cross. She asked her supporters to pray for Hagan's successful transition to the Senate seat, but Dole said she's not ready for retirement.

And, in an apparent reference to Hagan's ads suggesting the senator spent little time in the state she represented, Dole added: “Salisbury has always been my rock of Gibraltar, and my home has always been Salisbury.”

Both campaigns and their supporters put out a wealth of advertising, much of it negative. An Elon University poll conducted a week ago showed that 48 percent of those polled had a negative opinion of Dole's campaign, while 38 percent held a negative opinion of Hagan's campaign.

Dole was expected a year ago to easily win re-election. It would have been hard for any challenger to overcome the overwhelming name recognition of Dole, who ran for president in 2000 and served in the administrations of five presidents.

“Dole assumed, wrongly, that it wasn't competitive and that she wouldn't have a serious opponent,” said Ted Arrington, a political scientist at UNC Charlotte. “She waited too long to get going.”

(Staff writers Wade Rawlins, Dan Kane, Mark Johnson, Benjamin Niolet and Bruce Henderson contributed to this report.)

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story