McClatchy DC Logo

Boeing threatens not to bid on tanker contract | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Boeing threatens not to bid on tanker contract

Les Blumenthal - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 22, 2008 04:42 PM

WASHINGTON — Boeing's chief executive, James McNerney, told a top Pentagon official this week that his company might not compete for a $35 billion contract to build Air Force refueling tankers unless it gets an additional four months to prepare a bid.

Accompanied by James Albaugh, head of Boeing's defense unit, McNerney met face to face with Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England for a half-hour on Thursday at the Pentagon, Rep. Norm Dicks, D-Wash., said Friday. Industry and defense sources confirmed the meeting. England is the department's second ranking official, behind only Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

The meeting came as the Defense Department prepared to issue a final request for proposals next week on the tanker contract. Boeing said a version released several weeks ago favored a European aerospace company and its American partner.

A team composed of Northrop Grumman and the European Aeronautic Defense and Space Co. won the initial competition, but Boeing protested and the Pentagon decided to seek new bids on a fast-track schedule. Bids are due in early October and the contract is scheduled to be awarded by the end of the year.

SIGN UP

"Basically they told England there had been so many changes in the request for proposal that they couldn't compete," Dicks said of the message McNerney and Albaugh delivered to the Pentagon. "I think they feel they didn't have any choice."

Dicks said it normally takes a year for a company to develop a bid on a project like the tanker.

Boeing said the draft request for proposals in the new competition favored the larger tanker offered by Northrop-EADS based on a Airbus A330 airframe currently assembled in France. Northrop-EADS has announced plans to eventually build a plant in Mobile, Ala., for final assembly of the tanker. EADS is the parent company of Airbus, Boeing's bitter rival in the commercial airplane market.

The current time schedule for the new competition is so tight that Boeing said it wouldn't be able to offer a bigger tanker. Its current offering is based on a 767 airframe built in Everett, Wash., and converted to tankers in Wichita, Kan. Boeing could offer a larger tanker, perhaps based on a 777, but the company said it would take six months to put a new bid together.

"Make no mistake, this is a different competition for a different airplane, and Boeing needs sufficient time to prepare a competitive proposal," said Dan Beck, a Boeing spokesman. "If we don't get more time, there is little option but for us not to bid."

Beck said the initial competition called for a medium-size tanker to replace the Air Force's current fleet of medium-size Eisenhower-era KC-135s. Beck said the new competition favored a bigger plane that carries more fuel.

Beck would not confirm that McNerney and Albaugh had met with England. The Pentagon also declined comment.

"We are currently in a dialogue regarding the draft request for proposals with both Boeing and Northrop," the Defense Department said in a statement. "It would be inappropriate to discuss any of the details of those talks."

In a statement, Northrop-EADS said it would be a mistake to extend the competition, saying it would be "harmful to the warfighter" and result in a "direct escalation" of costs.

Dicks said he has had extensive conversations with Pentagon officials about the tanker contract as have Kansas' senators, Republicans Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts, and Rep. Todd Tiahrt, R-Kan.

"I am concerned the Department of Defense's 'bigger is better' mentality poses substantial costs to the taxpayers without clearly defined benefits to the warfighter," Brownback said in a statement. "Nevertheless, if DOD proceeds with a request for proposal that favors a larger tanker, it must provide adequate time for competitors to offer bids."

  Comments  

Videos

Trump says he could use executive power on border wall

A historic day for women as 116th Congress is sworn in

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

Congress

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

By Emma Dumain

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Sen. Lindsey Graham is used to be in the middle of the action on major legislative debates, but he’s largely on the sidelines as he tries to broker a compromise to end the government shutdown.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

Congress

Who will replace Roberts? Kansas senator’s retirement could spur wild 2020 race

January 04, 2019 04:12 PM
Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

Immigration

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM
HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

White House

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM
Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

Congress

Kansas Republican Pat Roberts announces retirement, sets up open seat race for Senate

January 04, 2019 11:09 AM
Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

Congress

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Congress

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story