McClatchy DC Logo

Watchdog seeks federal investigation of McCain donations | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

Politics & Government

Watchdog seeks federal investigation of McCain donations

Greg Gordon - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 11, 2008 06:07 PM

WASHINGTON — A political watchdog group called for investigations Monday to determine whether fundraisers for John McCain's presidential campaign arranged illegal "straw" donations — contributions from people who did not spend their own money.

Campaign Money Watch urged Attorney General Michael Mukasey to probe the activities of Florida defense contractor Harry Sargeant III, who is credited with raising more than $500,000 for the campaign. It also questioned $57,000 in donations from an office manager for the oil giant, the Hess Corp., and her husband, a railroad foreman.

The McCain campaign last week returned $50,000 of the donations tied to Sargeant, citing published reports that some California donors did not intend to vote for McCain. The campaign also sent a letter to others who contributed via Sargeant, stressing that only U.S. citizens or permanent residents may donate, and only if they use their own funds.

In a letter to Mukasey, David Donnelly, the executive director of Campaign Money Watch, said that merely returning questionable donations would "sweep them under the rug and would further damage the public's faith in our democratic process.''

SIGN UP

His letter was accompanied by a petition carrying 12,000 signatures gathered by the liberal-leaning group Moveon.org Political Action.

A Justice Department official said the agency had yet to receive the letter and would have no comment.

Sargeant, who could not be reached for comment, is a college friend of Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and serves as finance chairman of the Florida Republican Party. He had help in raising the money from Mustafa Abu Naba, his partner in the International Oil Trading Co., which holds a Pentagon contract worth up to $1 billion to deliver jet fuel to U.S. military bases in Iraq.

Referring to Abu Naba, Donnelly called it ``of questionable legality for foreign nationals to participate in fundraising and finance decisions for federal candidates.''

He also urged an investigation of two donations of $28,500 each by Alice Rocchio, the Hess Corp. office manager, and by her husband, Pasquale, to a joint fundraising committee set up by McCain and the Republican National Committee.

The couple made their contributions within days of McCain's reversal of his longstanding opposition to offshore oil drilling and on the same day that seven Hess executives and two of their relatives each donated the same amount. Among them were Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Hess, who has raised more than $500,000 for McCain.

While it's "understandable" that Hess executives might give generously to McCain, Donnelly wrote, "that does not explain how Mr. and Ms. Rocchio came to give these significant amounts given what appears to be their modest lifestyle."

The couple lives in an apartment in the New York borough of Queens. McClatchy reported last week that Alice Rocchio drives a 1993 Chevy Cavalier. The couple, who said they contributed because they supported McCain, had earlier given $4,600.

  Comments  

Videos

President Trump makes surprise visit to troops in Iraq

Trump says he will not sign bill to fund federal government without border security measures

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

Investigations

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

By Peter Stone and

Greg Gordon

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

One of Michael Cohen’s mobile phones briefly lit up cell towers in late summer of 2016 in the vicinity of Prague, undercutting his denials that he secretly met there with Russian officials, four people have told McClatchy.

KEEP READING

MORE POLITICS & GOVERNMENT

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

Congress

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM
California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

Elections

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM
Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

Congress

Does Pat Roberts’ farm bill dealmaking make him an ‘endangered species?’

December 26, 2018 08:02 AM
Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

Congress

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM
‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

Congress

‘Remember the Alamo’: Meadows steels conservatives, Trump for border wall fight

December 22, 2018 12:34 PM
With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

Congress

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story